installation CD for NAV4.0 SP3 with hotfix 1..8

BgestelBgestel Member Posts: 136
we want to create an installation CD for NAV4.0 SP3 with update 1..8.

The problem is that most of the updates does not contain single files, but an executable to update the client.

When i reported a call to microsoft to get an update, there solution was to update the client and then write the files back from my installed client to my installation directory. But how do i know what and which files the client update replaces on my pc and in which folders?
** SI ** Bert Van Gestel **

Comments

• NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    What I think microsoft is telling is to replace the database they provided for the CD. It is located on the disc 2. replace the database.fdb file with your updated database.fdb file. So that upon installation it will include your updated database.

To easily locate the database.fdb file in the disc 2. Use the search. :)
    Navision noob....
  • BgestelBgestel Member Posts: 136
    No it's not about the database, but about the executables especially the ones located in the common filles, system, system32, global assembly cache folders.
    You mean to say you want to include your update in installation of navision, like some executable files etc... that will be place in the system folders?

Have you tried to include them in their specific folder in the installation cd? There are system32, system folder inside it in disc 1. Try to put your files there (what I am thinking here is the installation will include to copy your files and put it in the pc folders).
    Navision noob....
    no.

there is a hotfix provided by ms as a installer file. this we want to merge with the installation cd

You are supposed to run the executable and then copy the replaced files back to the cd.

The problem is that we can not see wich files the installer updates, for the client map this insnt't an isue.

It is an isue for the the common filles, system, system32, global assembly cache folders
  • Revolution1210Revolution1210 Member Posts: 161
    A hotfix can be one of two things

1. An executable hotfix
    2. An object hotfix

An executable hotfix may be an updated version of fin.exe, finsql.exe or a .dll for example which needs to be updated on each client pc. Or could be a hotfix for a server side executable (if running native NAV server).

For executable hotfixes it is normally just a case of overwriting the old version of the .exe or .dll with the new one on each client pc, or on the server if it is a server side hotfix.

If it is a set of hotfixed objects, then these need to be imported into the NAV database in the usual manner, making sure to take account of any prior modifications to objects which may be in the hotfix.
    Ian

www.NextEqualZero.com
    A technical eye on Dynamics NAV
  • Revolution1210Revolution1210 Member Posts: 161
    Bgestel wrote:
    no.

there is a hotfix provided by ms as a installer file. this we want to merge with the installation cd

You are supposed to run the executable and then copy the replaced files back to the cd.

The problem is that we can not see wich files the installer updates, for the client map this insnt't an isue.

It is an isue for the the common filles, system, system32, global assembly cache folders

ok, which hotfix is it in particular.
    Ian

www.NextEqualZero.com
    A technical eye on Dynamics NAV
    Ohh ok.

Is it a special hotfix that is for your own use only? If it is MS should give you information on what are the files it updates. If not and it was a like the vista hotfix then you can search in the partnersource site.
    Navision noob....
    Bgestel wrote:
    no.

ok, which hotfix is it in particular.

in the end i need an installation cd for nav 4.0 sp3 including updates 1 , 3 , 4 ,5 ,6 ,7 ,8
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I would try installing blank 4.0 into a VPC, and make a copy of the installation folders. Then apply all hotfixes, and do a folder compare using Beyond Compare or something like that. Don't forget to do it for the client, NAS, database server, BN, BA, etc, etc.

Just so you know, Microsoft does not support creating an installation disc like that. We've done that in the past and when MS found out they made us re-install. It didn't make a difference in the end, but just be aware that it is not supported.

It would be so much easier if they would provide cumulative hotfixes only, or at least provide a download that includes all of them.