Issue with Setting up Job Queue

Tan_Eng_SiongTan_Eng_Siong Member Posts: 84
Hi

I am trying to run Job Queue in Navision 5.0 in a SQL 2005 database in a X64 environment. I have install the Navision Application Server and I have managed to start it. (My startup parameter is the windows login id.). I have also created the Windows login as a user in the SQL and Navision and I managed to synchronize it without any issues.

I have also put the xp_ndo_x64.dll in the SQL database and ran the 2 extended procedure.

I have double checked the manuals and what information I can get from the web and I think that the Job Queue setup is complete. Yet I cannot get a simple report to run. (I have designed a simple report to change a field on a table.)The most annoying thing is that I am not able to get the Windows Authentication to work for the windows Login despite the fact that I can get the Application Server running.

Does anybody have an clue as to what I left out or did wrong? I am a novice with the application server as well as job queue.

I am using Navision 5.0 Asia Pacific version

Thank you,
Tan Eng Siong

Comments

• Tan_Eng_SiongTan_Eng_Siong Member Posts: 84
    Oops. Forgot to add the permissions. However, after adding the permissions to the Extended Stored Procedure, I am still not able to get the Windows Authentication to work.
    Tan Eng Siong
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    And which error you have got? Are you able to login into the server using that account? Are you able to connect to the NAV DB from client using that account?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    The thing is that there is no error message popping up at all. I am not able to access the Navision client but I have no issues with login using the Windows Authentication for MS SQL.

The Navision Application Server runs fine.
    Tan Eng Siong
    Sigh....... Fix the login issue. Instead of Windows Login, I was using the Database login for the user id.
    Tan Eng Siong
    This is harder than I thought. I found the next issue. It is the startupparameter. It needs to be JOBQUEUE. I have changed the startuparameter. I have also tried activating the Job Entry from Job Queue Dispacher and I could get it to trigger.
    Tan Eng Siong
  • maheshmahesh Member Posts: 115
    Hi

I am trying to run Job Queue in Navision 5.0 in a SQL 2005 database in a X64 environment. I have install the Navision Application Server and I have managed to start it. (My startup parameter is the windows login id.). I have also created the Windows login as a user in the SQL and Navision and I managed to synchronize it without any issues.

I have also put the xp_ndo_x64.dll in the SQL database and ran the 2 extended procedure.

I have double checked the manuals and what information

Hi Tan, im also facing the same prob.
    we are also microsoft partner.
    From where u got the manuals of scheduler setup??
    plz provide me link, ill access with partner login.

thanx in advance.
    Best Regards,
    Mahesh Jain
    mahesh@reliconservices.com
    The manuals are the Navision Application Server manuals that come with the installation CD. There are no Job Queue manuals from Microsoft to my knowledge.
    Tan Eng Siong
    im novice with Application Server & Job queue.

I want to commence a codeunit at given time & call periodically & I came to know that it is possible using job queue.

> But its not working. My search says that to use Job Queue, Application Server installation is mendatory. Is it??

> I noticed that after setup of JOB, if i start "Job Queue Dispacher" codeunit (448) manually. Job queue starts working. so why should i use NAS, if i start this codeunit just after login by coding?? I know it is called from Application Mgmt Codeunit by NAS Handler.

> IF NAS intallation is mendatory then where to install? (at each client or only at server)?

> Do client need seprate permission in their license for NAS?

> how should i configure NAS by simple steps only to run job queue for my DB stored in server?

please help..... waiting for replies of u NAV guys.
    Best Regards,
    Mahesh Jain
    From what little I can gather, you need to install the Navision Application server. Otherwise I cannot think of another tool that accesses the Navision database periodically.

The program runs as long as there is a session running in Navision. However , if you reboot the server, can you ensure that the users will open the Navision and start the codeunit again? If not, you probably do need the NAS to handle the automatic restarts.

I am doing it on the server but I am not sure if you can install it on the client.

Certainly not at every client since it will take up another session in Navision every time it runs.

Yes, NAS is part of the license and you do need to purchase it for each instance that you run

You will have to read the manual found in the installation CD. The setup steps are there.

BTW, I am not an expert in NAS or Job Queue which is why I still have not resolved the Job Queue issue.
    Tan Eng Siong
    thanx a lot Tan...
    if you reboot the server, can you ensure that the users will open the Navision and start the codeunit again? If not, you probably do need the NAS to handle the automatic restarts.

but if i write code to run "Job Dispatch Codeunit" after every login (it will run from every client so not any probelem of starting Navision at server) & company switching , then do i need NAS for JOB Queue? :-k
    I think Microsoft would have done this if possible but i want to find exact reason for need of NAS? ](*,)
    Yes, NAS is part of the license and you do need to purchase it for each instance that you run

R u sure?? if not then i can customize as explained above.

because once i become sure, ill come up with final decision for my client

MVPs help me & Tan for guidance for JOB Queue or any Document from microsoft. :x
    Best Regards,
    Mahesh Jain
    Only Microsoft team can explain the design logic but I seriously do not think that Microsoft would ever want to design it in this way. If I have a program that launches when the users are logged in, then I can never reboot my server, stop SQL DB without having an additional step to worry about.

I have a customer who uses landsteiner and an open session was one of the requirements. At one point there were 5 different vendors accessing the server. It was a headache to remind everyone that the open session could not be closed or if closed, program had to be restarted.

Remember that the customer is likely to use your system for a few years. Their business and operations is likely to grow and the number of administrators may increase. When one day you are posted to support and you have to train new consultants to maintain this customer's system, do you think that you can remember this point?

This is what happened to me. Of course, I understand the need to save cost too.

I have a cost sheet in Excel and NAS has a price. You might like to check it with your country's sales team though. This might apply to Singapore only.
    Tan Eng Siong
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Some useful links:
    NAS
    Job Queue
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

thanx a lot kriki.... \:D/
    Best Regards,
    Mahesh Jain