Options

Boot.ini

AngeloAngelo Member Posts: 180
edited 2008-01-31 in SQL Performance
Hi Master,

I want to know if I use memory 6GB in my server(2003 enterprise and sql 2000 enterprise), Have I edit Boot.ini file to add "/3GB /PAE" ? and AWE Memory must be "enable"? this modification can make our navision performance better? I'm not system engineer so I blind of this term...pls advice...

thx,
angelo

Comments

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,089
  • Options
    Who ever done it before?
    May I know the performance after done this one?
    Pls share.... [-o<

rgds,
    angelo
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    What are your performance issues?

You should investigate your cache contents during the day. If the cache is stable you don't need to expand memory.

Another solution is to "tune" your indexes. If you remove unused indexes SQL will consule less memory
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Member Posts: 93
    In order for Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition to use over 4 GB of RAM AWE must be enabled. AWE is a set of application programming interfaces (APIs) to the memory manager functions that enables programs to address more memory than the 4 GB that is available through standard 32-bit addressing. SQL AWE memory is static not dynamic so when the SQL Server service starts it will reserve the memory specified as the “max server memory”. If there is 8 GB of memory on the server you will want to set the “max server memory” to 7 GB to allow 1 GB for the OS. The /PAE switch must also be included in the BOOT.INI file on the OS without /PAE AWE cannot reserve memory in excess of 4 GB. The /3GB switch should not be used in conjunction with AWE, but /3GB can be used in conjunction with /PAE on servers with more than 4 GB of memory but only running SQL Server Standard edition. The OS will need to be rebooted for any BOOT.INI changes to take effect.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    I wrote this article once.

Important to know is that you can set all the switches and stuff ... but it's only useful for data caching. When on a 32 bit server, you can put whatever RAM you want, you'll still be limited for plan caching, sort space and lock memory ... :| .

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your input.....

Now, I have successfully implemented this and it seem better performance :)

rgds,
    Angelo
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    What a few characters in a textfile can do with the system 8)

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog