Progamming Languages needed for newbie

ruambroseruambrose Member Posts: 18
Hi everybody,

Following the superb responses i got from my earlier post i thought i would ask another question.

I know that NAV is mainly programmed with C/AL code. What other programming languages are handy for a NAV developer to learn?

Looking forward to hearing your responses

Dave

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I suggest to learn SQL.
    You should read about .NET and languages that are available.
    I would wait until MS decides on what language it is going to use for the next ERP system before choosing one.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Learn about XML webservices. The next release of NAV will have webservices exposing NAV business logic, and you would be very valuable if you can consume those. It's up to you how you want to do that, .NET, PHP, Delphi, any language that can do it will work.
  • Revolution1210Revolution1210 Member Posts: 161
    Microsoft have suggested that the following skill set would be advantageous for NAV developers :

SQL, IIS, .NET
    Ian

www.NextEqualZero.com
    A technical eye on Dynamics NAV
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Before my NAV time, I was a VB6 and later a VB.NET developer. This has been very useful in my NAV time, I must say.

It doesn't matter that much which .NET language you learn imho. It's the .NET framework you should know/understand. If you know the framework, then the language is a small step.

Furthermore SQL will become only more and more important. It is already important to know what C/AL code causes what impact on SQL.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • ruambroseruambrose Member Posts: 18
    Thanks once again for all the great replies. Will get my head into some books and learn!