Installing NAV 4.0

navimbsnavimbs Member Posts: 137
I downloaded the Navision 4.0 W1. The download contains .fbk, .fdb & .mdf file.
I am not able to install Navision. How do i handle image .mdf file? System does not recognize the format. I am not able to convert it into .iso file that i can mount it to the CD. If i mount .mdf file into the CD, it does not allow to install. I tried using burn image to disc using Nero, but it only copies the same files & does not make the installable.

I tried using MagicISO to convert .mdf file to .iso file, but it is a paid tool. The trial version does not make the conversion. Is there any tool available free on net to convert .mdf file to .iso file?

Please advise how do i carry on the installation?

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    What you downloaded are just demo databases, not client installation. Look for another source...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Go to partnersource Page. Here can you found the iso images.

fbk <- the Native Navision Backup File
    fdb <- the native Datebase File
    mdf <- the SQL Database File

To know which file type are exist are basics.
    Do you have some experience with navision :?:
    If not, you can make al lot of mistakes during develop.
    On Partersource you can also find a lot of manuals about navision.

https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource <- you / your firm must have an account

Regards and good luck ;-)
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • navimbsnavimbs Member Posts: 137
    I fairly have a good experience in Navision. But this does not allow installation.

If you know, .ISO & .MDF files are image files. If you need to install navision, you have to burn these file to CD. If u check 5.x it comes with .ISO files, 4.x comes with .MDF files.

Please make a search on net & you will find details about such files n how to use them.

You will find downloads on Partnersource for Navision Software(Product Releases). Advise??
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    .mdf files in the context of the NAV discs are NOT image files, they are SQL Server database files.

The disk with those files is disc 2, you need to get disc one for the installation files.
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    I think his general issue is he is expecting navision to database files without a client.

He has not mentioned a client installation anywhere.

Make sure you have navision installed or at lease running fin.exe or finsql.exe from the client directory. These files are included in the completed download file. Install navision then attach the MDF to a SQL server or connect to the native db directory.

Can't see how u say u have experiance and get confused by this?
  • navimbsnavimbs Member Posts: 137
    Thanks frnds.

I downloaded the NAV40IN-DBonly ,i.e, what i have is only the database files & i missed the installables. This is what i got when i downloaded from partnersource. I will downloaded the installables, i found one link in mibuso http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=520 for 4.0 SP1.

Actually, i am wrkng on navision after 2 yrs gap, i was working in different technology during this time. I have 4 yrs exp workng with navision n i last worked with 3.6. :)
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Welcome back - it's a smart move :wink:.

Here are some download pages that you might have been looking for:
    - 4.0 SP3
    - 4.0 SP2
    - 4.0 SP1
    - 3.70.B

I try to maintain an overview of releases, service packs and hotfixes on my blog.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog