Nav on VS2K5 with WIN2K3 Srv

NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
Anyone tried to use navision under Virtual Server 2005 with Windows 2003 R2 Server? I have to install also NAS. What would be the best database to use (Native or SQL 2005)?
Navision noob....

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Are you talking about LIVE database or just for testing?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    Yes LIVE production database.
    Navision noob....
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Well ... no real live experience, but I have been running Virtual PC for quite extensive development environments (also NAS based stuff). Given the fact that both are not that different (reading this whitepaper).

I hope this is useful.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
    I will never recommand to run LIVE DB on Virtual server. In a time, when everyone is hunting performance points, going to virtual server is "step back" for me. There is too much things around you cannot optimize that if you will have some performance problems, nobody will support that...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Well, virtualisation isn't making our live easier, that's for sure. I agree with the fact that pinpointing a cause for performance trouble: it's much easier on non-virtualised environments. But on the other hand: upgrading virtual hardware (adding memory or something) is much easier.. .

I am no expert in virtualisation, but I know this will become more and more important in the future - also for NAV implementations.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Yes, it will be... but on today technology the performance is main reason. After the technology will be changed and full potential of SQL will be used, the performance should be no problem in part of implementation and the virtualization will be no problem.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    The main reason the clients coming up with this idea is for space and minimal cost. Ex. they have 1 box with 5 VS2k5 under it. 1 for Navision, 1 for their MOSS, 1 for CRM... etc...
    Navision noob....
    Exactly.
    Also for NAV partners, it's a good way to set up multiple test environments and stuff... . Anyway, there are numerous advantages ... .

Eric Wauters
    My blog