Upgrading from 3.60 --> 5 in one go?

AlishaAlisha Member Posts: 217
Anyone has done this? The standard procedure is to upgrade from 3.60 to 3.70/4 and then to 5, but this is a lot of work comparing objects... anyone knows if there is another way of doing it?

Thanks!

Comments

• jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    I went from 3.7 to 5, just opeing db with a V4 then a v5 to upgrade then i ran the upgrade routine straight away without issue.

Of course you could try doing it by just opening the client and running upgrasde script, but any issue outside of the recommended way would be on you to resolve.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Problem is in the upgrade toolkit. This only supports 3.7 to 5.0. For 3.6 to 5.0 you'll have to either stop at 3.7 or 4.0.

I know that we have solved it since we are an upgrade service center and do ton's of upgrades/year.
  • AlishaAlisha Member Posts: 217
    Yes, i know the problem is on the Upgrade toolkit, what I would like is to avoid doing the customizations to both a 3.7/4 objects and then again to 5 objects... this particular db is heavily customized and it will be a lot of work...
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The upgrade to 4.0 would be data only. You only need to add your customer tables and field to the base 4.0 database. Not your custom table code or any other objects. The rest is only done in the 5.0 database.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    bbrown wrote:
    The upgrade to 4.0 would be data only. You only need to add your customer tables and field to the base 4.0 database. Not your custom table code or any other objects. The rest is only done in the 5.0 database.

bbrown is correct. You do not need to merge twice.
    What I do is create a form based on field table. Filter on 50K to 99K range copy.
    Open 3.7 standard db and paste them into the same table.
    The run upgrade toolkit for 3.7. then run 5.0 upgrade toolkit.
    then load the 5.0 merged objects.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    What I do is just let Navision do an automatic merge so the fields are created in 4.0. No business logic is brought over in the 4.0 database.

We're just making sure the 3.6 container is the same size as the 4.0 container to be put into the 5.0 container.

Is that a good analogy? :-k
  • FommoFommo Member Posts: 138
    This was interesting.
    I need to do a huge upgrade from 2.01.B to 5.0.
    A lot of customization, it's got to be to still be able to use such an old Navision.

So, if I understand it right I could do this by the following steps:
    1) Do the comparison as usual between 2.01.B and 5.0, save the merge file.
    2) Create a form of the field table with filter on 50K-99K
    3) Open it in customers database.
    4) Open it in 4.0 database and copy/paste the fields into customers database form.
    5) Run Upgrade toolkit for 4.0
    6) Run Upgrade toolkit for 5.0
    7) Import merge file from step 1.
    8) Done?

Isn't there any need to paste the fields from 5.0 into the upgraded 4.0 database before step 6? The only reason to do the field paste is to get the customized fields, right? :-k
    In Step 6 during upgradetoolkit it will ask you to load the merged objects for 5.0 that you did in step 1.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• FommoFommo Member Posts: 138
    I'm doing such an upgrade as discussed here now.
    But I still have some concerns about the steps.

Before running Step 2 i the first version upgrade (to 3.70 or 4.0) the guide says I should import the merged objects from step 1. How is this accomplished? If I use the merge.fob from the merge with 5.0 I guess I will get some objects not compatible with 3.70 step 2?!?

So, my simple question is how much of the different steps should be run?
    Without any import of merge.fob the 3.70 step 2 have no new tables to reinsert the data in. How is this done?

Regards
    /Simon
  • AlishaAlisha Member Posts: 217
    You have to import the objects in version 4, but you only need the tables, and if you have done any changes to the tables (new fields, code, etc), you only need the new fields.

The steps are the following:

Upgrade 3.60 --> 4.00

Run Codeunits Step 1
    Import objects version 4 (you only need to do changes to the tables, as all the objects will be overwritten by version 5 objects)
    Run Codeunits Step 1

Upgrade 4.00 --> 5.00
    Run Codeunits Step 1
    Import objects version 5 (here you need all the objects with all the changes)
    Run Codeunits Step 2

And that's it. It works fine, I've done 2 upgrades already.
  • tvtv Member Posts: 2
    ara3n wrote:
    bbrown is correct. You do not need to merge twice.
    What I do is create a form based on field table. Filter on 50K to 99K range copy.
    Open 3.7 standard db and paste them into the same table.
    The run upgrade toolkit for 3.7. then run 5.0 upgrade toolkit.
    then load the 5.0 merged objects.

I had the problem, that fields with type Option could not be inserted, because he needed to know the Property Optionstring.
    Any solutions for that?
    At least I have to copy and paste the option-fields direct from table to table and delete any fieldsource.
    You are right optionstring isn't part of the field table,
    You can filter them out and then copy the fields.
    Then filter for option fields and find the table and copy them manually.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• tvtv Member Posts: 2
    Alisha wrote:
    You have to import the objects in version 4, but you only need the tables, and if you have done any changes to the tables (new fields, code, etc), you only need the new fields.

The steps are the following:

Upgrade 3.60 --> 4.00

Run Codeunits Step 1
    Import objects version 4 (you only need to do changes to the tables, as all the objects will be overwritten by version 5 objects)
    Run Codeunits Step 1

Upgrade 4.00 --> 5.00
    Run Codeunits Step 1
    Import objects version 5 (here you need all the objects with all the changes)
    Run Codeunits Step 2

And that's it. It works fine, I've done 2 upgrades already.

First part, upgrade 2.0 --> 4.03 was ok, but second part, upgrade 4.03 --> 5.0 does not really work; at that point, where I import the objects (tables) version 5.0, I have lots of problems with the table 167 job and also job-related fields in other tables (36, 37, 38, 39, 111, 113, 115).
    Many of those 'job'-fields from 4.0 are no longer in 5.0. And the Upgrade Codeunit Step 1 did not solve this problem!
    Any experience with that?