finsql.exe and high CPU usage on windows 2003 terminalserver

boyeditorboyeditor Member Posts: 4
Hello, we have a problem with some off the users on our Windows 2003 TS. The finsql.exe on some of the users suddenly starts consuming a high amount of CPU. It peaks up 30-40 % on the CPU, and it's the finsql.exe file that's causing it.

We're using 4.03 version of the Navison client. The strange thing is that there is not any difference if the user is working or idle. It's consuming the same amount of CPU. If the user end the program/restart the program things are back to normal; for a while.

Any sugestions. We were working on the idea of delete the SUP files for the users that have this problem. Is that a good idea?

Anyone?

Comments

• KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Hello,

is your windows 2003 TS a 64bit version?

I've experienced the same thing on a windows 2003 Server 64bit once. I think it is because the finsql.exe is a 32 bit application.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    I have had this happen on just the fin.exe, not sql

it happened when the users left his curser in the qty field on a sales order, it was like Navision was running a bunch of stuff in eager anticipation of a number being entered in the field.

but seriously is was weird and repeatable.

as an end user I have not found what causes it, but the solution was to tell the user not to leave there curser in the field. seems to work

this is in a terminal server 2003 enviroment.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I know that there were problems with the Tooltips in older clients - when users let cursor over something, which lead to showing tooltip, the CPU goes crazy. Solution was to disable tooltips... but it seems that this was connected just with the toolbar...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • boyeditorboyeditor Member Posts: 4
    KYDutchie wrote:
    Hello,

is your windows 2003 TS a 64bit version?

I've experienced the same thing on a windows 2003 Server 64bit once. I think it is because the finsql.exe is a 32 bit application.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Willy

No unfortunatly it's not an 64 bits server, but thanks for the tip. I'm helpless here. There are extremely little to find on the big web about Navision and technical issues.
  • boyeditorboyeditor Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

A customer reports to experience an occasional problem with finsql.exe using 10-15 % of cpu. The customer has identified the problem to be trigged by use of reports.