Questions on Bar Code

Horse06Horse06 Member Posts: 496
Hi Expert! I have a questions on the bar code. We are using Navision 4.0. Normally after we places orders, we need to send the item for packaging.
In our sales order form, we created a check box(Received) and manually checked the box after we received the item packaging. I read some forums about bar code. But ours are based on sales order no, not on items. After we receive the packaing, we scan the sales order printouts and the check box is automatically checked. Can this work? And also, what bar code tool is better to use? Appreciated for your help! Thanks!!

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    You don't need any tools. Just download install free 3 of 9 font then in navision report change the font to the new font and in sourceexp add
    '*' + "No." + '*'. Basically add * to the front and end of what ever you are printing.

That's it. When the report is printed it will print the barcode that can be read with any barcode reader.

You can turn anything into a barcode and users can just scan it instead of typing it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    ara3n wrote:
    Just download install free 3 of 9 font

Can you give us the link where can we download the font? Many thanks!
    Navision noob....
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Horse06Horse06 Member Posts: 496
    Thanks so much ara3n!
    1. So when we scan the sales order, do we have to open the report each time?
    2. How the check box be automatically checked when the sales order form is scanned?
    Thanks for your time!
    You need a new Form. Where the user will scan the sales Order.

The form will have a text box with a sourceExp as SalesOrderNo

Onvalidate of the text box you are going to put code something like this.

SalesHeader.get(SalesHeader."Document type"::Order,SalesOrderNo);
    SalesHeader.validate("Received",True);
    SalesHeader.Modify(true);

On you Packaging Report you are going to print the Barcode for SalesOrder No.
    When you receive the package. You simply scan the barcode into this new form and it will automatically check the Sales Order.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• ufukufuk Member Posts: 514
    ara3n wrote:
    You don't need any tools. Just download install free 3 of 9 font then in navision report change the font to the new font and in sourceexp add
    '*' + "No." + '*'. Basically add * to the front and end of what ever you are printing.

That's it. When the report is printed it will print the barcode that can be read with any barcode reader.

You can turn anything into a barcode and users can just scan it instead of typing it.

It doesn't print any barcode in my report. I used free 3 of 9 and 3 of 9 extended fonts but it returns *10001* etc.

I tried lots of fonts, searched the forum about barcoding but I couldn't create a barcode format yet.

Is it something related with the regional settings, item coding etc.? Any suggestions pls.?
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    you have to install the fonts on any & all computers that potentially will be printing this report.

2nd when you View the sections of your report you need to either add an additional sales order no field so you can read it normally and the second field (which you simply made a copy of the first) you change the font name in the properties of that field.

Make sure you enter the name correctly..for example, for the font I use I have
    BC C39 3 to 1 Narrow
    entered into the Font Name property of the field. just as you see it.

Now if you use a different font then you need to get the name correct
    Savatage wrote:
    you have to install the fonts on any & all computers that potentially will be printing this report.

2nd when you View the sections of your report you need to either add an additional sales order no field so you can read it normally and the second field (which you simply made a copy of the first) you change the font name in the properties of that field.

Make sure you enter the name correctly..for example, for the font I use I have
    BC C39 3 to 1 Narrow
    entered into the Font Name property of the field. just as you see it.

Now if you use a different font then you need to get the name correct

I have installed your fonts and change the sourceexpr as the font name but again I only see item no., there is no barcode bar. :-k
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
    I don't know what to say - it workds for everyone else.

If y6ou change the sourceexp to something like '*' + "No." + '*' & then change the font name to an installed font then it should work.

How are you installing fonts? just dropping them into the font folder or are you going Control Panel->Fonts->install new Fonts?

Are you successful changing the font of ANY field?

Change the name to Arial and another to Courier & see if the changes show up.
    I don't know the reason, what can I be doing different from others?

I think installing method doesn't matter because I can see the font correctly in Excel (I reinstalled fonts but nothing changed) but in Navision barcode type fonts always replaced with the default one.

I can change fonts in Navision and show them truely in the reports, except barcode fonts :-k
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
    print this out and compare to your field.
    http://savatage99.googlepages.com/Prope ... eField.doc

see if anything is different.
    just to state the obvious - but this field must be on or added to your report using view sections

This is a field on my picking ticket report - that turns the sales Header."No." to a barcoded field.

best of luck.
  • flfl Member Posts: 184
    Hi Ufuk,

I had the same problem some time ago. I used several barcode fonts in the past, and they all worked fine in Belgium and Holloand. However last year, I did an implementation of Nav 4.00 SP3 in Istanbul, and guess what, the same problem as you mentioned. Even more, if I connected my laptop on the network to the same database I could print the barcodes, but i could not print them from another pc, even when the barcode fonts were installed correctly.

So, it took some time to find out, but I found the reason for the problem. The problem is caused by the codepage. Not all fonts can be used in all the codepage tables. So I found a tool on the internet (Fontcreator from www.high-logic.com). I loaded the font file in the tool, then menu format-settings-ranges-edit code page character range. Then check the 1254 codepage and save the font file again. Now this font can be used in Turkey.

It's realy the fin.exe and finsql.exe that are causing this problem. If you use word, excel,... it will all print. Except Navision. But by changing the codepage of the font, you can use them.
    Francois
    Consultant-Developper

http://www.CreaChain.com
    Many thanks Savatage and especially you FL.

Changing the code page within the fontcreator solved the problem. I am very pleased of your Istanbul visit:D
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
  • Horse06Horse06 Member Posts: 496
    Thanks! If we have several check boxes, how does the sytem know which box to be checked.
    Horse06 wrote:
    Thanks! If we have several check boxes, how does the sytem know which box to be checked.

it this a barcode question?

the boolean field has a sourceexp. there you define it.
  • gnosisgnosis Member Posts: 4
    Hi! Thanks for the suggestions so far,

Just a note to those still having troubles, when defining the font name in the properties of the text box on the appropriate section make sure to use the Typeface name value located within the font.

You can check this by opening the TTF and referencing the value given for Typeface name, for instance; when using the FRE3OF9X.TTF (Extended) this value would be 'Free 3 of 9 Extended' and not 'FRE3OF9X' or 'Free 3 of 9 Extended Regular (TrueType)'

Hope this helps! ;o)
  • awarnawarn Member Posts: 261
    Also (again to state the obvious), the font name must be exaclt the same as the name in the control panel -> fonts. If it is at all different, the report will compile but the font will not print.

So if it is
    BC C39 3 to 1 Narrow
    make sure not to enter
    "BC C39 3 to 1 Narrow "
    or BCC393to1Narrow

-a