Does Hotcopy have a destination size limit bug??

JamieBrownJamieBrown Member Posts: 107
Hi,

When running Hotcopy, I'm getting the error No. 1130:

"Not enough server storage is available to process this command".

Although this looks like a straight forward error. I'm actually trying to back-up onto a new 2TB NAS device (approx. 1.9Tb free)

For years we've backed up onto a 1TB NAS device without any problems at all...

Is there a known issue with Hotcopy and large drives?

Oh and our Database (v4) is only 120Gb.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• MalajloMalajlo Member Posts: 294
    Do you have enough disk space? Are you sure you are hotcopying on correct disk (partition)?
  • JamieBrownJamieBrown Member Posts: 107
    Hi Malajlo, as I said we have about 1.9 TB of space (for a 120 Gb file) which surely is more than adequate...

The destination drive is a single partition and Hotcopy runs with the destination switch as a UNC path.

thanks
  • ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    Just guessing mode: Try a smaller partition.
    Hotcopy works fine when copying to a 1TB NAS device but the problem is that 1TB isn't large enough, hence purchasing the 2TB version.
  • ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    He, I was in a guessing mode O:) : I'm a litte older I think and remember problems with applications when using new HDD of 100 MB. After resizing the partiton to 60 MB problems were solved.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    @120GB I would suggest moving to SQL. If you are on SQL i would not use HOTCOPY but the Tools that come with SQL Server.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Savatage wrote:
    @120GB I would suggest moving to SQL. If you are on SQL i would not use HOTCOPY but the Tools that come with SQL Server.
    I would say that this is a good suggestion.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Yes, we're still currently on Native. SQL is in the pipeline but still a while away...

I'll add this to the ever growing list of reasons why we need to convert!
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    try mapping the drive path, instead of using the whole path.

I use hotcopy to backup a much smaller database, but I could never get it to reliable work until I mapped the drive and changed hotcopy to go to a drive letter

so my g:\ drive is actual a network share.