upgrading Report and forms to NAV 5.0

hiddentexthiddentext Member Posts: 45
I am trying to upgrade a report from Version 4 to Version 5 by opening up both databases and use copy and paste.

Is it true that Ctrl C and Ctrl V does not work when copying textbox/labels from Version 4 to version 5.

Is there another alternative?

Thanks.

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    hiddentext wrote:
    I am trying to upgrade a report from Version 4 to Version 5 by opening up both databases and use copy and paste.

Is it true that Ctrl C and Ctrl V does not work when copying textbox/labels from Version 4 to version 5.

Is there another alternative?

Thanks.

Yep, you won't be able to copy and paste.

The differences between 4.0 reports and 5.0 reports are very minor. I'd even go as far as to say some 5.0 reports are overly complicated.

Other than valuation and account schedule reports, if your 4.0 reports is highly modified and the users are used to it, then just replace it.

I'm talking about Item Sales Statistics, Customer/Item Statistics, etc.
  • ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    You can open the 4.0 code in a 5.0 client. Then copy/paste works.
  • hiddentexthiddentext Member Posts: 45
    Thanks. opening up version 4 code in version 5 clients is a good idea. I was taught to open up 2 databases to upgrade objects rather than using the development toolkit because the old dev toolkit was unfriendly to use.

Has the new Version 2 SP3 Dev toolkit improved? Do you guys think is a better idea for me to start using it for upgrade?
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    If upgrading is something you will do a lot then I would say use a text compare tool such as Beyond Compare or Araxis. When you first start out it will be difficult to figure out how to read the text, especially for forms and reports, but once you know what to look for you will be MUCH more productive using the text files directly.

I personally don't like copy/paste between two objects, because there are so many properties and code bits that you can miss because they don't show in one place.