auto increment numbers

STNavisionSTNavision Member Posts: 13
Interestingly enough, I have a few companies that even though the numbering series is set up correctly with auto increment numbers etc, the accountants still receive the error of

"You may not enter numbers manually. If you want to enter numbers
manually, please activate Manual Nos. in No. Series GJNL-RCPT."

Am I missing something?

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    edited 2008-01-03
    why is he typing in numbers? use F3

for example lets start with 1

1->f3->2->f3->3 now if i manually enter 4 when i f3 i will get an error because f3 will want to use 4 but i manually entered 4. so now I have to go into the number series and bump it up a number for it to continue smoothly. Using F3 and allowing manual entry can really be a pain unless the manual entry numbers are some different range from the main no. series.

hope that made sence.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Yeah, I've noticed that too when No. Series are used on journal type forms.
  • DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    edited 2008-01-04
    Regards,

Deep
    India
  • DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    My client is also getting this problem on purchase orders. I had seen that all the previous numbers are filled, the manual field is "False", the default field is "true", but even then the system stops at F3 and throws the same message.

When I check both manual and default, it works fine.
    :?
    Regards,

Deep
    India
  • sendohsendoh Member Posts: 207
    Don't let the users enter the number manually, what if the number that the user inputs is the next number in the number series?if you press F3 this will give u an error
    the number is already exist,and u have to delete that number.
    Sendoh
    be smart before being a clever.
  • NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    sendoh wrote:
    Don't let the users enter the number manually

How?
    Navision noob....
  • sendohsendoh Member Posts: 207
    Just set editable properties of the textbox to no.. :lol:
    Sendoh
    be smart before being a clever.
  • NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    sendoh wrote:
    Just set editable properties of the textbox to no.. :lol:

On what you are reffering? Journal type forms? or Invoice? If you put it this way what are the down stream effect of this? Can you specify it? Thanks.
    Navision noob....
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    STNavision wrote:
    Interestingly enough, I have a few companies that even though the numbering series is set up correctly with auto increment numbers etc, the accountants still receive the error of

"You may not enter numbers manually. If you want to enter numbers
    manually, please activate Manual Nos. in No. Series GJNL-RCPT."

Am I missing something?
    This message is when the "Manual Nos." field in the numbering series is not checked. If you want to allow people to enter numbers manually, you have to put a checkmark in that field.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    DenSter wrote:
    This message is when the "Manual Nos." field in the numbering series is not checked. If you want to allow people to enter numbers manually, you have to put a checkmark in that field.

& The other way is to uncheck the Manual Nos. in the number series so that only f3 will work. But then you must go into the number series and make sure that the last # used is actually the last number used. Once that is done the system will work properly and you will no longer get the error.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    I think the original poster's question was that when you post entries using journals, and you set the posting no. series, you get the error message as the poster described.

I've seen this problem since Navision 1.2 and since then have not recommended clients to use the Posting No. series on journals.