Object Table Locked

bramdedaelebramdedaele Member Posts: 16
Hi guys,

"The object table cannot be changed because it is locked by another user. Wait until the user is finished and then try again."

This happens when items are imported using a dataport. I would understand (and probably be able to solve) an error about the Item table, but this...? Is this the SQL, NAV,...
If it were the Item table that is being locked, I guess NAV would point to the "Item" table and not to the "Object" table? Or am I wrong?

When is the "object" table altered or how to search for the problem?

Running NAV4.0SP3 on SQL2005 DB.

Thx!
Bram.
Dynamics NAV Consultant

Answers

• FordewindFordewind Member Posts: 27
    Hi

Very interesting! And what does the debugger say about that?
    Nav 4.0 sp3
  • bramdedaelebramdedaele Member Posts: 16
    Interesting indeed :-).

The weird thing is that it's occasionally... (of course I don't know which user does what and when) so simulating is not an option...
    Dynamics NAV Consultant
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    What is the client's version and built?

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
    Same...

4.00 SP3...

I'm getting the feeling that it has "nothing" to do with the import itself (because it happens on other events also)...
    The irritating thing is, that I know little/nothing about an "Object"-table being changed...
    Dynamics NAV Consultant
    What is its built number? (see my blog)

The object table should only be changed when people are working with/changing objects (forms, tables, whatever) or when synching/working with security :| .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    (sorry)

Ok, so that could be it, I was playing with the roles/users/synchronisation to SQL... :-)
    (let's hope so)
    Dynamics NAV Consultant
  • KTAKTA Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

It could also happen if users are working on the same item as you at the same time : you change data on a item and an user changes data on the same item...

It's a transaction error.
    (sorry)

Ok, so that could be it, I was playing with the roles/users/synchronisation to SQL... :-)
    (let's hope so)

Can you check if you're using the enhanced security model? If you do, and you do a synch, this can take a while, and typically, the error pops up... .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    @ KTA: I know locking is transaction-related :-), but normally it should run smoothly with SQL, if it doesn't take longer than locking timeout (10 secs here).

@ Waldo: Indeed, this takes a while (as known with enhanced security model). Chances are that this is the cause.

Anyway, I'm going to set this issue as solved for now, thx a lot guys!
    Dynamics NAV Consultant
    I suggest to change to standard security. Is there a reason for running on enhanced?

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    I didn't create/install the DB, but I guess one of the advantages that come with the enhanced security model (I'd have to look them up).
    Dynamics NAV Consultant
    I didn't create/install the DB, but I guess one of the advantages that come with the enhanced security model (I'd have to look them up).

Let me help you ... I briefly mentioned them in thispost. :mrgreen:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Waldo wrote:

Let me help you ... I briefly mentioned them in thispost. :mrgreen:

Lol, indeed :-), now that you mention it. I'd say also that It would be better to take the standard, so I'm going to propose this to my "boss" as I'm not the project leader here :D.
    Dynamics NAV Consultant
  • welanderwelander Member Posts: 20
    I have discovert the same problem also in a 4.0SP3 but with a Native DB so it have nothing to do with SQL security in this solution ther is about 180 companys in one DB and somtimes when a user runs a rather complex codeunit who also runs a Dataport the Object Table Locked error ocurs for users working in other companys.