Seeking Suggestions 3.70

artpingartping Member Posts: 39
What would be the best way to extract Items sold by zip code. I believe the only way to do it would be to create a report linking the sale header and line tables? I am trying to get the data out to excel to manipulate.

Format:

Zip code
Item No. Amount Cost

grouping would be by zip code

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Are we also assuming here you want to group the Item No too?

ZIPCODE 11747
    -Item ABC 1000 pcs
    -Item ABD 1023 pcs

Instead of having a ton of lines per item no?
  • artpingartping Member Posts: 39
    Sorry, that would be correct.
    Unless you have zip code as a key Could Be hard to group & sum
    I would use tables Item ledger Entry & Sales invoice Header you can link the ILE-Document No. to SIH-No.

If your not good at using Nav Reports - Try first using the wizard to create a report in the Item Ledger Entries. Add fields Item, Quantity & amount.
    You'll want to keep totals on Quanty & Amount. You'll be asked to sort & group Choose a Key That has Item No First. Finish the wizard & now when you run the report you can see it will total by item (STEP1) Now you'll have to add the Sales Invoice Header dataitem above ILE & create the link. Add A SIN GroupFooter Underneath for the zipcode.

...anyway

Can you use Odbc to connect to Excel.?
    If So try this.

open Excel.
    Data->Import External Data->New Database Query
    Choose your Odbc Datasource you have setup->OK->Login
    you list of table should appear
    Select Sales Invoice Header & item ledger Entry Tables.->Next
    I manually Link The Two Tables now.
    ITL-Document No to SIH-No.

Now your ledger entries have a zip code attached to it.
    If your good at Excel you should be able to work your magic at this point.

- Note the report you really want can be made in under 30 seconds in Crytal Reports. & Exported right to Excel. FYI. It's really awsome.
    First off, thanks for all info Harry.

I think the report route is creating a lot of extra work. I think I need to fine tune the import to excel as it takes quite a bit of time.

I have ODBC and Crystal reports 11. I am trying to configure my odbc to connect with my native server database. I was able to make it work on a local database but have hit a snag trying to connect. From your description this sounds like the best route, if I can get the ODBC to work.
    are you using Native or Sql database?
    c/odbc or n/odbc with native - odbc for sql

Crystal lets you group & sort by anything, even variables you make up.
    then Export->Excel->Done

We do alot of Customer Ledger Entries by Zip - to help create territories for our salespeople.
    I am using Native with c/odbc. I am able to get it to work in a development enviroment. Local database, but when I try to get it to work by connecting to the server. I receive a log on failure in Crystal.

You are using the report for the same exact reason that I am trying to setup. :-)
    artping wrote:
    I am using Native with c/odbc. I am able to get it to work in a development enviroment. Local database, but when I try to get it to work by connecting to the server. I receive a log on failure in Crystal.

Make sure in Control Panel->Administrative tools->Data Sources is set up properly. Did you specify the database server directory?
    I think that I have it setup properly. I have the server button checked, net type is tcp, pointing it to the database with the proper company name. I then put my id and password in. It keeps coming back with a ISAM error, cannot read file?
    You need to have a license file has Granule
    1,700-C/ODBC-1 to run it on a network

then here's how I set mine up
    http://savatage99.googlepages.com/OdbcSetup.pdf
    I have that granule. I suspect my problem is with the program folder. I thought I read that this is like running a client and that it should point to my local client folder. I noticed in your instructions that it looks like you are pointing to a network drive with a shared folder. Do I need to map to a certain folder on the server?
    I don't know if it's right or wrong but I know it works.

I have it mapped to the Database Server Folder in the navision directrory on the server.
    I think to get the ODBC to work with the server you need to point to the server folder and if you are working local then to the local client? I pointed it to the server folder and a querying we will go. The entry type is coming back as a numeric value instead of sale,purchase etc?
    Now that the ODBC is running would it be faster to create a report in Crystal or let Microsoft query and put it into Excel? It seems to take quite a bit of time to move it from the query to excel. If i create a report in Crystal can I send it out to Excel?
    File->Export->Format:MS Excel (Data Only)->Destination:Application
    Thank you Harry for all your help with this project.