Options

How is Vista working for you?

DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
edited 2008-02-21 in General Chat
So I am getting to a point where I am probably going to throw my experiment away and downgrade my laptop back to XP. It is just not worth it to fight my computer over everything, and I am thinking about throwing in the towel.

My SQL2005 BIDS was screaming at me for not being compatible with Vista, so I try to download the right SP for VS, as well as the Vista compatibility patch, which takes forever. So then I try to apply the SP and it finished in more than an hour, but had to try twice The first time Vista just sat there for 15 minutes thinking whether to start setup.exe, decided it was already running, so I had to reboot, which takes 5 minutes nowadays. While it is shutting down, it starts applying "security updates", which surprised me because I turned the automatic features off, and it takes TWO HOURS to shut down.

So then the Vista compatibility patch didn't want to finish, by then my whole SQL2005 is not working anymore, so I had to reinstall that as well. All because I had to apply a Vista compatibility patch.

Happy? No not really. I am going to rebuild my computer, it just takes too long to start up and to start apps. I thought Vista was built to speed up applications, but after less than 6 months of using this, my computer slowed down MUCH more significantly than any XP machine ever has.

Oh and it's not the hardware, I have plenty of resources, a 7200rpm disc, 2GB of memory, dual core processor.

So the question is.... how is Vista working for you? :mrgreen:

P.S. anyone have any experience putting XP on a Dell D830 that was preinstalled with Vista?

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I am using Vista for one year now on my notebook (since beta version), and it is working OK for me (1GB RAM, small slow disc, ATI Radeon 9700) - I have just problems with Battery detection - this notebook is not compatible with Vista and battery is not detected.

I am using Vista on my work desktop for 9 months now, without issues. Bootup time is around 1-2 minutes.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    jesamjesam Member Posts: 100
    I have a Dell with Vista since april, Dual Core E6400, 2GB ram, works like a charm since I finally installed the rigth video driver.
  • Options
    TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    I think I am the only guy in the office, who still works with Windows XP. And yes, it works like a charm :-)
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Vista works fine for me. Using it for over a year now on my laptop.

I never shut down Vista (only when it installed updates). I just close my lid when my work is done. When I open my lid, I can start working in less then 30 seconds...

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Works alright for me - but I only use it at home. Work is XP Sp2.

I will try this weekend to download the Vista SP1 from technet - will see if that makes any improvements.
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    I never shut down Vista (only when it installed updates). I just close my lid when my work is done. When I open my lid, I can start working in less then 30 seconds...
    I did that at Directions, after your suggestion.... closed the lid and waited for the little light to start slowly blinking. Put the computer in my bag and walked to my hotel room. Wanted to take it out again and the computer was almost too hot to touch. Been shutting it down ever since.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    For consultants that has to work with many different environment on each customer site, Vista is a nightmare. Especially with backwards compatibility issues.

For a client where they only work with one version, Vista will work fine.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    DenSter wrote:
    Waldo wrote:
    I did that at Directions, after your suggestion.... closed the lid and waited for the little light to start slowly blinking. Put the computer in my bag and walked to my hotel room. Wanted to take it out again and the computer was almost too hot to touch. Been shutting it down ever since.

It's mostly bad drivers that would cause not going into Hibernation.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    ara3n wrote:
    DenSter wrote:
    Waldo wrote:

It's mostly bad drivers that would cause not going into Hibernation.
    Strange, you have the same laptop then I have :-k (if I remember correctly).
    Mine is configured in the "power options" when I close the lid, to go to sleep ... not hibernation. Never turned hot though :|

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    I turned the power plan to 'High Performance' and it is a LOT better now. Closing the lid is set up to put it to sleep here as well, but it still seems to have some sort of activity when I close the lid.
  • Options
    :mrgreen:

you mean that you were working on half performance for months?

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I have absolutely no problems with Vista.

I purchased a Laptop with Vista Pre-installed. Used it for two days, took it back to Best Buy, and they replaced it with a Laptop with XP on it.

Never had a problem with Vista since. \:D/
    David Singleton
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Even better, check out this. I was looking for a Laptop in India, and this is what Lenovo offer:

Lenovo India - Lenovo notebooks for home

In case you can't open the page, the relevant bit is:

Operating system DOS
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Your laptop doesn't work in India? :|

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    :mrgreen:

you mean that you were working on half performance for months?
    Ever since Directions, when we were talking about battery life, and you told me that a different power option would not make much of a performance difference.

Ever since I've been back from Directions I've been complaining about picking up some sort of bug from the network at the Disney hotel, because that was when my computer started slowing down. I never put the performance and the power option together :oops:

Anyway, the computer is now performing nice and fast again, so no issues there anymore. But I am anxiously anticipating the next compatibility issue. The one I had last week took me almost a day to recover from in uninstalling, downloading correct versions and patches, and re-installing software.
  • Options
    "DenSter wrote:
    ...and you told me that a different power option would not make much of a performance difference.

Yes, always blame the Belgians... :evil: .
    Can't imagine saying that, because I always play with the power options to have a longer battery life ... and I always experience slower performance.
    Anyway, problem solved and your faith in Vista is restored :mrgreen:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    I probably did not listen very well :whistle:
  • Options
    I've got the same problem with my wife... .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    I bet she's much better looking than me :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Well ... let's hope so :mrgreen:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Just notified..

the SP1 Update RTM bits are available now to Technet Subscribers!
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb96 ... =A80S02A05
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    I've read reviews that it doesn't fix those annoying warning messages and network connectivity issues.

Personally, I'm still waiting for them to release a SP for backwards compatibility.
  • Options
    I'm running Vista x64 on a laptop with 4Gb RAM now (freak as I am).
    All works fine 8) .

I'll wait for the final release of SP1.

Eric Wauters
    My blog