Direct Posting of GL Account

krvenkatakrvenkata Member Posts: 154
Hi

I am trying to post a Sales Invoice for services using the sales invoice screen. I had given the customer information on header and in the line i had chosen a GL Account which is marked as Direct Posting in chart of accounts and given the qty and unit price as 1 & 1000.

Now when i try to post, its asking for me to specify Product Posting Group for the GL A/c mentioned in the line item. Why it should say so?

For the same a/c & settings, when i try to post a transaction in general journal, it posts correctly.

Will i not be able to post an GL account (which has direct posting) in sales invoice for the services rendered by me? I think the same holds good for me to make a service purchase invoice...Please clarify

Please confirm...

Comments

• MalajloMalajlo Member Posts: 294
    In Sales or purchase direct posting to G/L Account requires to set up Gen. prod. posting group and VAT prod. posting group.
    Then you should change Journal templates not to insert post. groups from G/L Account. Show gen. prod and vat prod. fields in sales/purchase line.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    You can use the G/L account for posting in 2 ways :
    a) Thru Journal
    You can post the transaction if the direct posting is marked to true.

b) Thru Pruchase/Sales Invoice :
    The Gen. Product Posting group should be mentioned on the account card because it is used for posting in Navision thru invoice option.

You need to have a look on the concept of General posting Setup and its relevance. The accounts defined in option (b) gives a error on posting thru journal unless the user deletes the gen. product posting group on the lines which is not adviseable. The company should be aware that which account will be posted thru journal and which one will be thru purchase invoice (Its a Internal Control Concept).
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • krvenkatakrvenkata Member Posts: 154
    Thanks for the reply.

But assuming if i post a credit memo for some service charges (which will not have item reference), and if i post thru Journal, i will not be able to take a print out to give to customer.

So i am forced to use Sales invoice with Customer & G/L account option.

In this case what should be the Product Posting Group which i should insist my client to give? Please advise on some guidelines.

Thanks in Advance

Venkat
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Just Create a Gen. Product Group as "Service" and define the setup in the Gen. Posting Setup. You may not define any account for it. Select that product posting group on the G/L card and reselect the account on the lines and you are done.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • krvenkatakrvenkata Member Posts: 154
    Thanks Mr. Singla, It worked. I just created Posting group names (without assigning any values) and able to post using GL Account.