Navision

Horse06Horse06 Member Posts: 496
What's the prospect of Navision in Five years? I was told by someone that that it will be completely replaced by a brand new version and it will be quite different from what we are using now? Is it true? Thanks!

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) NAV will be still there... ;-)
    2) It will not be NAV as you know it today... look for the screenshots/videos with NAV 6.0 and you will see the future...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Horse06Horse06 Member Posts: 496
    Thank you for your information! I will watch the video. So if we are using 4.0 now, we can upgrade directly to version 6.0, is it right? Is the new version going to be released in 4 or 5 years or it will be released shortly? Somebody told me that we have to completely abadon 4.0 and buy new version 6.0. What about our lots of modifications on the old system? Everthing has to be started from the very beginning. That is the issure we are worrying about. Thanks!
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) Release date is 2H 2008 or something like that...
    2) It will be not so "easy" to upgrade to new client with havilly modified DB. Because different interface, you will need to change some logic mainly if you are using forms which are not like in standard NAV (Table, Card, Header-Line etc.). But you will be still able to run "old" C/Side client, but it means no new features. Same is for reports and their Reporting Services design - must be created to be able to use the old report on new platform. But it will be "hard" for everyone, because we will need to change the NAV thinking and do things differently...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Horse06Horse06 Member Posts: 496
    Thank you! So in this case a lot of our efforts and money has been wasted and I think people who has done a lot of modifications before will not like it no matter how fancy the new NAV is.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    The world wide version is Q4 2008. The US localized version will probably be around Q1 2009. The upgrade toolkit will probably be released Q3 2009.

So to propose and approve the budget internally for your company, you can possibility look at an upgrade to version 6.0 in Q1 2010.