Hotfix

SavithaSavitha Member Posts: 56
Hi,

Can we upgrade a hotfix or patch in a database which contains data?
If Yes, what is the procedure?

Comments

• MalajloMalajlo Member Posts: 294
    Yes, you can, but if you have any modifications in existing tables, you should merge objects.
    If you don't have any modifications, just replace objects (ReplaceAll button). If any filed numbers or similar are changed, NAV will stop imorting.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Standard Database there is no problem upgrading to new service packs/hot fixes. Just dowload the FOB file and go to object designer and import. If you want help to be updated then copy the files from online help folder of download and copy it in ENU folder of Navision in program files.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • SavithaSavitha Member Posts: 56
    Hi Malajlo,

Thanks for the reply. As you suggested merging works but after merging the data in the tables will not be present.
    Is there any method to prevent this data loss??
    Data is lost? You are doing something wrong...
    New tables can not delete existing fields if at least one field in record has value.
    I meant, a customer is already using Nav and the database already contains posted transactions and master data.In this case can we use merge process to upgrade a hotfix?
    savitha, which tables are you upgrading? You should know the differences between existing and new. And also which forms, reports, codeunits are enhanced/changed.
    When you import objects, open worksheet and check tables that are in conflict. If you have any data in tables, data will remain or import will fail.
    ok let me explain it clearly.
    A customer is using Database with Hotfix5 and if I want to upgrade the databse with hotfix 6 then what is the procedure?

Can I use developer toolkit to merge?
    Your explanation was not so clear ;)
    Which obejcts are you updating? Were any of those objects customized for your customer?
    If there is no customizations in objects that HF6 updates, then you can replace all objects with HF6.
    If objects are customized then?? :)
    Then you should use Merge&Compare tool.
    Or, for minor changes, you can also export both versions of objects in text file, paste it in excel and use excel functions to determine changes and combine (merge) existing with updated.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Use this link for comparing the codes. I have used it and found very helpful.
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18912&highlight=beyond+compare
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    again, I don't have stocks or shares, but you should also try out Araxis Merge. This is a three-way compare and merge tool.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog