Bank entries in wrong journal

bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
Hi.

In a new company I mistakenly entered the outstanding cheque list in a general journal instead of a bank journal. After posting, the cheques don't show up in the bank rec window as they should.

Any tips on what kind of grief I'm in for?

Thank-you in advance.

Bob

Comments

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Unless there is some localization involved it doesn't make a difference whether you posted from Payment Journal or General Journal. Have you punched Cheque No and Cheque Date field and selected Manual/Computer Check option.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
    Hi.

Actually, there is a problem. I did more investigating and here's what happens.

Entries made through a payment journal are added to the Bank Account Ledger Entry Table (271) AND the Check Ledger Entry table (272).

Entries made through a general journal do NOT appear in table 272.

The cheque list in the bank rec is populated by report 10406 Bank Rec. Process Lines, and it goes through table 272 looking for cheque - and as we know - items posted from a general journal won;t be there.

A simple report to copy selected lines from table 271 to 272 would seem to do the trick. But, just before I did that I realized that the errant general journal items seemed to be showing up in the Deposits list of the bank rec (as negative items.)

So, this may all be OK (just a bit ugly.) I have finish all the opening entries to see if the bank rec can be performed.

Bob