Two quick questions

KisuKisu Member Posts: 381
1. Which version of the NDT works best with Dynamics NAV 4.0 SP3, the lates one gives errors and shuts down by itself?

2. Is there a good way to test where table object fields reflect when changed.
Like if I change the lenght of table 18 Customer - Search Name lenght 30 to 40?

edit: fixed typo.
K.S.

Comments

• WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Not the easiest questions :wink:.

1. I use the latest one you can download on this forum without numerous problems. I think it's this one.

2. The table definition is saved into a BLOB field in a binary way. So reading this from within NAV is quite difficult. Just export to text and compare the values to a standard object... .

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • KisuKisu Member Posts: 381
    Waldo wrote:
    Not the easiest questions :wink:.

1. I use the latest one you can download on this forum without numerous problems. I think it's this one.
    Nice I had the same version actually but the one I downloaded from partner source had errors on it. Working now n_n
    Waldo wrote:
    2. The table definition is saved into a BLOB field in a binary way. So reading this from within NAV is quite difficult. Just export to text and compare the values to a standard object... .

Exported and testing, seemslike this might take a while to do.

Thanks for the first tips :)
    K.S.
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Kisu,

The best version of the NDT is version SP2 build 291. It still has its quirks, but it works. Beware, that it will shut down and issue errors when the fill level of your native (not-Sql) database goes over 90%. I always try to keep the fill level around 65%-75%, then it works ok.

Also you can do a where used on the field in the NDT. Unfortunately there is no "multi level" where used available. With this I mean, if I change the length of the name field on the customer table, this gets copied into the Bill to name, sell-to name, etc in different tables. So you also should perform a where used of these fields. Which can take a lot of time.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Willy Martens
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
  • vikram7_dabasvikram7_dabas Member Posts: 611
    this error comes bcoz when r changing the length of field in customer table it will give error like overflow.
    Vikram Dabas
    Navision Technical Consultant
  • KisuKisu Member Posts: 381
    KYDutchie wrote:
    Kisu,

The best version of the NDT is version SP2 build 291. It still has its quirks, but it works. Beware, that it will shut down and issue errors when the fill level of your native (not-Sql) database goes over 90%. I always try to keep the fill level around 65%-75%, then it works ok.

Also you can do a where used on the field in the NDT. Unfortunately there is no "multi level" where used available. With this I mean, if I change the length of the name field on the customer table, this gets copied into the Bill to name, sell-to name, etc in different tables. So you also should perform a where used of these fields. Which can take a lot of time.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Willy Martens

Cheers

I think I got most of the lenght issues figured out so far. :)
    This was a must chage cause the new law in Finland demands those strict names that can be over the normal field size in NAV.
    K.S.