NAV 5.0 Architecture

SoumyadipSoumyadip Member Posts: 209
Hi All,

My client is having some bad feeling with the standard NAV concept where clients (desktop) directly connects to SQL (Server). He does not want to give direct access to DB, instead prefering to route it through a Application Box (as we see in any other application).

Can you point me (URL) to some documents or pages where the NAV 5.0 Architecture has been defined?

I need to show to the client that this is the way NAV works and its not my brainchild. I think some standard MS PDF on NAV Architecture (may be with a architecture diagram) will help me.

I have access to partner source and i can download things from there.

Looking forward for your answer.

Thanks in advance.

Soumya

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) Users do not have "Direct access" to the DB!
    2) NAV client is using Application role to connect to the DB, user just needs Public permissions for the DB - this permissions grant just that the user can connect to the DB, nothing more (cannot read etc.).
    3) it means that if correctly set up, user cannot read data from SQL outside NAV.
    4) Look for document with name Security Hardening Guide.pdf for more info about security.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • SoumyadipSoumyadip Member Posts: 209
    Thanks.

Can you please refer to a MS Document (Architecture) where i can find all these?

at list a diagram showing the client connecting to DB Server directly and no App server is involved.

Thanks in advance.

Soumya
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    He just did!
    kine wrote:
    4) Look for document with name Security Hardening Guide.pdf for more info about security.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Soumyadip wrote:
    at list a diagram showing the client connecting to DB Server directly and no App server is involved.

You need to differ between Application Role and Application Server. Application role is a way, how some application can have specific permissions on MS SQL without assigning permissions to the user (application is connecting under the app role, which has password and this password knows just the application). Application server is a special client without GUI running as service - it means piece of Software.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Soumyadip wrote:
    Thanks.

Can you please refer to a MS Document (Architecture) where i can find all these?

Thanks in advance.

Soumya
    There is no documentation explaining what it is not. It would not make sense for anyone to create a document that describes how their product does NOT work, would it :mrgreen:
  • SoumyadipSoumyadip Member Posts: 209
    Thanks all...

I got you....

But the last Navison Architecture.pdf i have is of version 3.6

I was just wondering whether MS has published any latest architecture document for version 5.0. By Architecture I mean the actual product architecture document not any security hardening guide...