How to change Item Costing Method?

foolosofofoolosofo Member Posts: 73
Hi!

Well, my customer has a LIFO costing method for the items. However, according to a new G/L Account reclassification in my country (Spain), we have to change LIFO costing methods to other costing methods because it will be invalid from 1/1/2008.

I don't know how I can do this using the better way with low cost. It's a critical change that we have to do in new fiscal year.

I've seen several posts in forum but I'm not sure about these posts.

Thank you!

Comments

• themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    there is no official way to change costing methods when entries exist, but there are several ways to do it.

the key is to make sure you have posted everything, ran all adjusted cost routines. You should not have any of the items on Purchase orders or sales orders either

then do a negative journal to zero out all inventory. run all the adjusted cost routines again.

now you are ready to change the costing method.
    I have used this method, for large number of corrections.

Create a dataport, item no, and costing method.

export the file for the records you are working with.

in your exported file, change the costing method to the new method and use the same dataport to import the records.

Now you have to do a positive item journal entry with the correct cost for the items to bring them back into inventory.

the problem with changing costing methods is it is very hard to get the new cost. if you have a lot of entries all costed at LIFO, and you switch to FIFO or average, you have to do all the calculations to come up with that new value. you will pretty much have to make these calculations outside of navision. I would use MSAccess if I had to do it.

the difference between your negative and positive adjustment will be the net difference in costing between the two methods.

I sometimes find I need to have an item changed to specific cost method. I do the adjustments described above, and then use a processing only report to change the costing method, I hard code the item no in the report, since I am only doing one or two items. and that is hardly ever needed anyways.

here is the code, it also records the item tracking code needed for specific cost items to be tracked by serial number.

It.RESET;
    It.SETFILTER("No.",'%1,'ROK-RRL23160R3.58');
    IF It.FIND('-') THEN BEGIN
    REPEAT
    It."Costing Method" := It."Costing Method"::Specific;
    It.MODIFY;
    UNTIL It.NEXT = 0;
    END;
    It.RESET;
    It.SETRANGE("No.",'ROK-RRL23160R3.58');
    IF It.FIND('-') THEN BEGIN
    It."Item Tracking Code" := 'SNALL';
    It.MODIFY;
    END;
    MESSAGE('Process complete');
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    Sorry I guess the office way, would be to create all new item no's, and block the old numbers from further use, after you made item journals to zero out the old, and add in the new. You still have to calculate the new cost manually, and use the cost when you make the positive item journal.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Just to rephrase. The official way is to
    1. negative adj the item to zero.
    2. make sure there are no partial po and so.
    2. run adjust cost.
    3. renumber the item and block.
    4. create new item.
    5. positive adjust inventory
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n