Can NAV work on Linux

krvenkatakrvenkata Member Posts: 154
Hi

Can anyone telll me whether NAV will work on Linux? We have NAV V4.0 SP3 in India.

Please confirm

Venkat

Comments

• TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    That's an interesting question ;-)

I guess the easiest way would be, to use terminal server with windows to run NAV, and linux clients to connect to that server.

EDIT:
    as I remember, I've read somewhere in Russian forums, that it's possible to do so (at least, NAV4 SP1 once worked on Ubuntu). Once again, if you haven't tried, you'll never know I guess.
  • krvenkatakrvenkata Member Posts: 154
    Can you rephrase your answer? I guess NAV cant be installed on Linux. Please let me know some concrete solution

Thanks in Advance

Venkat
  • NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    It will not work properly, because navision uses files like ocx and dll's (which are registered in windows platform).
    Navision noob....
  • krvenkatakrvenkata Member Posts: 154
    Thanks...So i conclude that NAV cant run on LINUX.

If someone has an experience on Installing / Running on Linux, please let me know...

Thanks

Venkat
  • MalajloMalajlo Member Posts: 294
    DLLs and OCXs are not necessary for basic work with NAV. Outlook integration, Business notification, Gant chart and similar won't work, but basic posting and so works only running fin.exe.
    So if win32 apps run on uBuntu, then try it ;)
  • NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    edited 2007-11-29
    Microsoft products usually use ocx and dll's which concludes that even though you able to run the navision application in other flatform but does not support registering of this components, you will definitely cannot use (some of) its features.
    Navision noob....
  • EugeneEugene Member Posts: 309
    before microsoft purchased Navision there was a support for Linux and older versions of navision can run under Linux (using native database and not MS SQL).

Having in mind that MS is migrating everyone to MS SQL and Windows it would be a BAD decision to try to run Navision on Linux. Even if you succeed to run with some version of Navision what about the prospects of upgrading to the newer versions ?

As alternative you maybe interested in using some other ERP system for example Compiere ERP with CRM Business Solution (you can find it at SourceForge.net)