Multiple languages double-byte characters

idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
Is there anyway to displace non-English languages or double byte characters without switching the "language for non-unicode programs" under the regional settings?
NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Because NAV is not unicode, no-there is no way around.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Thanks.
    Would like some advise over this issue:
    Does it mean that for each language there must be a separate physical server?
    Any word on this limitation going to be resolved in newer versions?
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

idiot wrote:
    Thanks.
    Would like some advise over this issue:
    Does it mean that for each language there must be a separate physical server?
    Any word on this limitation going to be resolved in newer versions?

You do not need new server, if you are using MS SQL, you need separate database.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    I've tried on SQL, the server is defaulted English & the double-byte data appeared as gibberish.
    If I set the "language for non-unicode programs" under the regional settings to the appropriate character set, the data appears fine for the corresponding character set in navision.
    The problem is some other applications would use the selected character set instead of English......
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

Yes, but it is "Microsoft"... :-)

The settings are global and if you are using other non-unicode applications, they will have problems. As solution can be to run NAV through some remote services like Citrix or Terminal Services.

Or for some applications you can use Microsoft tool, which is able to simulate another language per application (it "switch" the settings without restart and admin rights for the application, but it is not working for NAV). Try to google it. I do not know the name...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.