Any tool for data synchronization between two server?

joycopl_mejoycopl_me Member Posts: 52
Dear all,

My client has two server that use for each responsibility center. So, they need to synchronize data between two database at two server.

can everybody suggest, what reliable tool can hep this function except DTS (MS SQL Server)?
Thanks, :)
Thang[/b]
Thang

Comments

• jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    I would think that DTS or some other base functionality of SQL would be a preferred method. You don't have to customize anything and it's built on standardized proven methods. Plus it comes with SQL out of the box.

If you're using SQL 2005 there are new features that can help this. SQL server 2005 supports data mirroring (requires 3 servers).

Are each of the sites posting transactions seperately or is this really just for fault tolerance?
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Why they are not using one server? You can just filter the data for the correct responsibility and you do not need to solve the synchronization. And, are they using two licenses or both servers are working with same license? Is it covered by the license agreement? :whistle:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • joycopl_mejoycopl_me Member Posts: 52
    They used 2 server. Because, network is poor and they cannot sit on 'A' and connect to 'B', its very slowly

They can use the same or different license right? but now they used the same license.
    Thang
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I am not sure, but using same license on two servers for me is not correct.

If the connection is slow, you can still use terminal services to connect to remote location. It is common solution everywhere when you need to connect some remote location...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    I agree with Kine that a RDP solution is most common. The new Citrix licenses are interesting for that matter. A solution like this involves no customization is is therefor very stable and maintainable.

If this is a no-go ... we always use our Integration Framework.
    It comes down to XML traffic between the servers using webservices, MSMQ, FTP, ... (whatever you like). If you have to develop from scratch, it will take quite some time... .

There are products out there, though. Check ToIncrease, Celenia, ... (or iFacto in a few months :wink:).

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • girish.joshigirish.joshi Member Posts: 407
    LS Retail's Replication tools do a really great job of this. The nice thing about the LS Retail replication model is that it decouples the database read and writes from the data transfer. That is to say: first the data to be replicated is read, then stored into packets, then transferred, and then written -- all in discrete steps. Internal controls keep the neccessary processes atomic.

This makes it a superior choice if you transferring large amounts of data or have an intermittant/slow internet connection.
  • cunnycunny Member Posts: 129
    edited 2007-11-22
    jlandeen wrote:
    I would think that DTS or some other base functionality of SQL would be a preferred method. You don't have to customize anything and it's built on standardized proven methods. Plus it comes with SQL out of the box.

If you're using SQL 2005 there are new features that can help this. SQL server 2005 supports data mirroring (requires 3 servers).

Are each of the sites posting transactions seperately or is this really just for fault tolerance?

agree with jlandeen, DTS is the best and easiest way when you really need to synchronize data between different servers.

Yes, some solutions are based on C/SIDE. But nearly all of them use ADO automation which can be treated as another SQL client. With DTS, what you need is just SQL statement and configuration and then schedule it. Further more, there is no problem about NAV license limitation. It's completely outside of NAV.

Best regards,
    cunny Lee
    MCP - MBS Navision
    jle@naviworld.com
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    You just have to keep in mind to make sure that the necessary validation is done when inserting records into a NAV database... .

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog