What is the Navision Standard for lots of buttons on forms?

awarnawarn Member Posts: 261
I have an issue where I may, in some instances, have to put 'lots' of buttons on the bottom of a form.

By lots I mean more buttons than fit in a row on the form in design mode.

I know that in reality some of these buttons should not be there, but the consultant is in love with adding shortcut buttons on the forms. For example, since they use extended text extensively, on the item card she wants to put a button to pop up the extended text list as opposed to accessing it through the list.

Accepting the above as a good idea (I personally do not, but let's assume there is a good reason), what should I do when we get too many buttons?

I know that button size should not change - all buttons should be 2200 wide. That leaves me with two options, stretching out the form lengthwise, or adding a second row of buttons. So in the effort to conform to the Navision standard (even though having too many buttons is not standard), what is the better choice - stretching the form (which only works for so long), or adding a second row, or shrinking the button (which I know to be incorrect, but it is an option).

Thanks,

-a

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    The beauty is.... you can do whatever you want :mrgreen:

The thing though is, that by adding a lot of buttons that don't "look and feel" like NAV, you introduce confusion. Unless of course all that stuff makes perfect sense to the users.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    The best would be NOT to use buttons but menu-buttons. :roll:
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Your better off creating a new drop down menu button for all your new choices.

edit* Kriki is too fast ](*,)
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    One thing you can do once you've added menu-buttons is to add shortcut to them So that the user can just Ctrl+K or something similar to run the routine. This removes the user from using the mouse.
    It's a lot faster.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    awarn wrote:
    what is the better choice - stretching the form (which only works for so long), or adding a second row, or shrinking the button (which I know to be incorrect, but it is an option).
    Thanks,
    -a
    I have no problem with shrinking buttons to fit a tight form.

You could always create a new tab called "Lots-O-Buttons" and put them there :lol:

I recently changed a bunch of buttons to a Menu Button (much Cleaner)
    I called It Bi-Lo Functions. Here is the queen of all tight forms :lol::lol:
    http://savatage99.googlepages.com/TightForm.JPG
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    ara3n wrote:
    One thing you can do once you've added menu-buttons is to add shortcut to them So that the user can just Ctrl+K or something similar to run the routine. This removes the user from using the mouse.
    It's a lot faster.
    And teach them to use the keyboard-shortcuts and not the mouse!
    Savatage wrote:
    awarn wrote:
    what is the better choice - stretching the form (which only works for so long), or adding a second row, or shrinking the button (which I know to be incorrect, but it is an option).
    Thanks,
    -a
    I have no problem with shrinking buttons to fit a tight form.

You could always create a new tab called "Lots-O-Buttons" and put them there :lol:

I called It Bi-Lo Functions. Here is the queen of all tight forms :lol::lol:
    http://savatage99.googlepages.com/TightForm.JPG
    Not bad, but I once made a better one : variable number of buttons on a form to be used by a touch-screen!
    I have some demo, I will send it to Luc to put it in the download section.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Savatage wrote:
    :shock: Dude and that is AFTER cleaning up the buttons? It sure is colorful :mrgreen:

It is an excellent example of 'you can do whatever you want', this form probably makes perfect sense to the users.
    It's nice when all you need is in one place.
    Customer Info, Postage Zones & Rates, Weights, Shipping Methods, Auto Email Notifications, Order additional Info, Items, freight etc.

Found it easier to create a new tab and play around with that.
    Note there were 4 more buttons on the bottom i changes to menu button
  • KowaKowa Member Posts: 923
    Savatage wrote:
    Here is the queen of all tight forms :lol::lol:
    I just wonder what the NAV 2009 Form Transformation Tool would make out of that :lol:
    Kai Kowalewski