Options

SQL server not listed on NAV client

KisuKisu Member Posts: 381
edited 2007-12-06 in SQL General
I have up running SQL service with navision database on it, but the server itself wont show up on Navision clients server list when I'm trying to open it.
But if I type the server name manually on the servername textfield and browse databases it founds the database and I'm able to connect it.

Anyone had this problem? :-k

When we first put up the service it showed up, but after some patches or server configures the server dissapeared from the list and I'm not sure what does that.
K.S.

Comments

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,089
    This has also happened to me. I don't know why it happens, but I don't care. In general I create a shortcut to the finsql.exe with all the parameters to connect to the right DB in it. This is easier if I swap between DB's, I know I will always have the correct one.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    KisuKisu Member Posts: 381
    kriki wrote:
    This has also happened to me. I don't know why it happens, but I don't care. In general I create a shortcut to the finsql.exe with all the parameters to connect to the right DB in it. This is easier if I swap between DB's, I know I will always have the correct one.

It seems it happens also if I install another instance of the SQL server on same windows server.

I made the shortcuts too. :?
    Atleast the server works as it should be, it just wont show up on the list.
    K.S.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I have only had this problem on Windows XP - just had to change SQL Server 2005 to enable tcp/ip.
  • Options
    PerssonPersson Member Posts: 19
    davmac1 wrote:
    I have only had this problem on Windows XP - just had to change SQL Server 2005 to enable tcp/ip.
    I have had this problem on WIN 2000 / NAV 2.6 / SQL2000, WIN XP / NAV 4.03 / SQL2005 and WIN XP / NAV 5.0 / SQL2005.

Don't have any clue about what's causing it. But the application and the database server works what ever you have to type the database server name or you have to choose it from the list.
    Best Regards

JPE
    Certified Dynamics NAV Professional
  • Options
    cCodecCode Member Posts: 6
    I also had that annoying "feature", databases won't list in Nav Client when using SQL Server 2005 (I use named instance) running on Windows 2003 Server.

Solution:
    enable Named Pipes for Server

1) start program "SQL Server Conficuration Manager" from Microsoft SQL Server 2005/Conficuration tools/
    2) open SQL Server 2005 Network Conficuration
    3) open Protocols for (your instance name)
    4) select Named Pipes and enable it (right click, select enable)
    5) stop database, start database (SQL Server 2005 Services) use refresh to make sure that server has right status, stop or running.

Won't harm if you enable TCP/IP as well. Check also that client protocols are enabled.

This worked for me.
  • Options
    dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    The enumeration of servers on the network has always been an issue due to the API being used for this, within the ODBC driver.

Be aware that from version 5.0 of NAV, only locally installed server instances are listed in the server window, but this does not affect your ability to connect to a remote server.
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Options
    NavStudentNavStudent Member Posts: 399
    Thank you for this info. I always wondered the method used and why it didn't display all the servers.

I'm glad this problem has been resolved. :mrgreen:
    my 2 cents