what's the relationship among sales order, invoice, journal

gisongison Member Posts: 128
Hello....guys
I'm just getting confused about the relationship among sales order, sales invoice, sales journal..and further to become receivable...and so on.
Does anyone can give me some direction...or have any official flowchart I can take a look.....

I'm appreciated. :?

Comments

• jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    You may want to check out some of the functional documentation that comes on the Navision CD or from Microsoft covering the basic sales module.

But as a very high level here's some help:
    - Sales Documents (Quotes, Orders, Shipments and Invoices) all start as unposted documents
    - this means that they have not yet occurred (as far as Navision is concerned)
    - orders must first be shipped and then invoiced and then they will have financial impact
    - shipments documents are navision's representation of the physical action of shipping the items to the customer (this will affect your inventory module)
    - invoicing documents are navisions representation of the financial part of the transaction (this will affect customer ledgers and the GL)
    - once invoicing is complete now there is an outstanding recivables balance against the customer.

I think that covers sales in a nutshell.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • gisongison Member Posts: 128
    jlandeen wrote:
    You may want to check out some of the functional documentation that comes on the Navision CD or from Microsoft covering the basic sales module.

But as a very high level here's some help:
    - Sales Documents (Quotes, Orders, Shipments and Invoices) all start as unposted documents
    - this means that they have not yet occurred (as far as Navision is concerned)
    - orders must first be shipped and then invoiced and then they will have financial impact
    - shipments documents are navision's representation of the physical action of shipping the items to the customer (this will affect your inventory module)
    - invoicing documents are navisions representation of the financial part of the transaction (this will affect customer ledgers and the GL)
    - once invoicing is complete now there is an outstanding recivables balance against the customer.

I think that covers sales in a nutshell.

I'm appreciated you, jlandeen.
    I got one more question...are there have any function can import sales invoice to sales journal, when sales invoice been posted. I mean..does they got concatenate connection..
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Typically when you already have (using or acquired) Sales Order (or Sales Documents) you won't be using Sales Journals anymore...

Sales Journals are more for those who doesn't require the full Sales Documents functionality or didn't buy the related Sales module(s)
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • gisongison Member Posts: 128
    idiot wrote:
    Typically when you already have (using or acquired) Sales Order (or Sales Documents) you won't be using Sales Journals anymore...

Sales Journals are more for those who doesn't require the full Sales Documents functionality or didn't buy the related Sales module(s)

oh~~that give me some idea now.. thank you very much...
    Basically, we got 2 ways to start a receipt, is it like following:

[Sales Order(unposted)->Sales Order(Posted) ] => receipt journal(unposted)
    [Sales Journal(unposted)->Sales Journal(Posted)] => receipt journal(unposted)

-> single line arrow: we have facility can proceed from unposted to posted
    =>double line arrow: we need to manual create receipt journal no matter what which way we choice before; no facility in system which can proceed some kind of transfer ... make sales journal/order become receipt journal