Wrong Item/Order Tracking entries preventing Shipments

Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
Hello,

Does this situation look familiar to any of you?

I have quite a lot of item tracking problems at a client in 4.03. Although I made some customizationgs I’m fairly sure these are OK – these routinges just create or assign lot numbers automatically, but they work through the standard interfaces and the entries are right, I’ve tested it a lot. Therefore I think something must be wrong in the standard (again). All of the below-mentioned situations lead to qty. to handle must be so and so error messages when you try to post a warehouse shipment, which was picked with lot numbers.

1) When you create Planned Production Orders from the Planning Worksheet you get tracking entries to the Sales Orders. If you delete them you’ll get a Surplus entry on the sales order. I guess this must be OK – however these entries often have a lot number, which is completely crazy. So I’m removing lot numbers from entries tracked to Planned or Firm Planned production orders now by a routine called a few places in the system. But I don’t understand why does it happen. The trouble is can't really reproduce it. It just happens when I'm not looking.

2) When a production order is order tracked to the sales order and the output is posted, the sales order becomes order tracked to the item ledger entries of the output. However often the tracking entry of the sales has no lot number – which is the way it must be I think, this is order tracking at this point, not item tracking – but the pair entry, the one that points to the item ledger entry does have a lot no. This is wrong. This again only happens when I'm not looking, can't reproduce it.

3) Even when I remove these lot numbers with yet another routine, so the entries are completely nice, innocent order tracking entries from the sales order to the output item ledger entry, posting a warehouse pick with lot numbers does not work properly. Instead of creating item tracking entries (reservation status = tracking and has a lot number) between the sales line and the item ledger entry, it creates Surplus lines with a lot number for the sales line. I guess the reason must be that there are already tracking lines, though these are order tracking, not item tracking (they have no lot number). So there is clearly something wrong here.

In the last 8 days or so I’ve always been fixing these entries manually and writing routines that remove wrong entries, hoping it will solve it, but it doesn’t. Right now I’m onto a radical approach – just before the pick is posted, remove every kind of item or order tracking from the sales line except for tracking to Released Production Orders (because part of the order might still be in production, and there are custom reports that will look at it i.e. printing a job card report will look up the sales order and print the customer's name etc.) . I think no other order or item tracking is actually necessary just before you post a pick for the sales order line. What do you think, does it sound right? (I'm thinking about part shipments - but no, item tracking entries in the reservation entry table are not historical data, they just mean a temporary binding between the SO and the stock with the lot - after it's posted the history is in the item ledger and other tables. )

I’d be grateful if anyone who had similar experiences could share it with me.

We are using Tracking & Action messaging. Maybe we should switch it to Tracking Only?

Comments

• NavStudentNavStudent Member Posts: 399
    We have a client that is in exact same scenario as you and I've heard the same issues that you are having. They have automatic reservation on all items and have warehouse management on and go live has been very unpleasant.
    Luckily I am not on that project. :)
    They've fixed a lot of these issues in 5.0.
    my 2 cents
  • roismcgroismcg Member Posts: 1
    I am also experiencing similar problems on a site with item tracking (lot no's) functionality on production orders. All of the item codes also have the order tracking policy set to tracking and action message.

I was wondering what the consequences would be, if any, if we were to delete the entire reservation entry table? #-o