password protect field

rj5570rj5570 Member Posts: 157
is it possible to password protect a field.

i have a field on a table that i want to allow only a few users to be able to edit.
- So it Goes.

Comments

• rvduurenrvduuren Member Posts: 92
    edited 2007-11-06
    Hello,

Unfortunately you can't, except on the form. But that ain't a good idea b/c you'll find the password value with Ctrl+F8 (ZOOM)
    There is another way>
    Store the password value Encrypted ! Use Forum Search for Encryption methods..
    Met vriendelijke groet, best regards,

Rvduuren
  • rj5570rj5570 Member Posts: 157
    LOL

thats kinda confusing. but i dont want to hide the field. i just dont want users to be able to change the field, except a couple of users.
    - So it Goes.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    this post was really just to show you how to disable zoom.

I guess there are a few way's to stop an unauthorized user from editing a field.

//You can error message them OnModify
    IF USERID <> 'Something' THEN
    ERROR('You are not allowed to change the value of %1', FIELDCAPTION(YourField));

or something similar like using
    IF USERID <> 'Something' THEN
    CurrForm."Your Field".EDITABLE(FALSE)

Tons' of posts on using the EDITABLE function use SEARCH
    Here's one
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2323
    right on thanks!

if you dont mind, can i ask a stupid question. where on a form can you put code. can access c/al code in a form, sorry for the newbie question.....
    - So it Goes.
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    here is an add-on that does this

http://www.costcontrolsoftware.com/F_C_Security.htm
    rj5570 wrote:
    right on thanks!

if you dont mind, can i ask a stupid question. where on a form can you put code. can access c/al code in a form, sorry for the newbie question.....
    you can't access cal/code in a form unless you have the application designer granule, which runs about $8000 us.

the regular forms designer most of us end users have, can only change the appearance of things. no cal code access allowed.
    so without the application granular, i can not do this then, is that correct?
    - So it Goes.
    edited 2007-11-06
    Not this way. no.

When you go to Designer->View is C\AL Code greyed out?
    You either can get your NSC to add the code you need or get an addon as suggested above.
    thats correct it is grayed out
    - So it Goes.
    rj5570 wrote:
    so without the application granular, i can not do this then, is that correct?
    that is correct. that is why I would lean toward the add-on, since then you will be able to do this to other fields down the road. If you instead pay your solution center to code just this, and then a month from now you decide you need another field password protected, which will happen, since once you do it the first time, then a managers somewhere will want it again, you will have to pay again, and again, each time you need. Buy the add-on and do it everywhere you want from that point on. and just pay once to have the add-on intergrated.
    that is probably the direction i will go.

thanks
    - So it Goes.
    better yet, buy the application granule and learn to do it yourself. but it is a hard sell to make that $8000 purchase. No one change like this is worth it, but over time they will all add up and the granule will seem cheap.

Unfortunately I have never been able to successfully make that argument myself. #-o
    here's another add-on - you can ask your nsc which is right for you.
    Including price!
    http://www.lanhamassoc.com/securitymgmt.htm
    thank you i will look at both those!
    - So it Goes.