Microsoft XPS Document support

emanuelemanuel Member Posts: 22
Hi all,

we have a customer that needs to print out forms from Navision (Postal payment orders). We are able to create Navision report to fit the exact properties of printer, but it is not usable in our scenario due to following reasons:
1. Customer has variety of printers
2. Branch offices are connected via Terminal Server and print results over Terminal Server is different than on local even for the same printer

We tried to use PDF file format (print the form to PDF automatically), but when it goes to printer, the page fits printer's properties and thus it does not fit either.

I have heard about new Microsoft XPS format. It does exactly what we need. The output is not fitted to printer, it just prints out whatever it can. And it works also through Terminal Server.

My question is - how to make the print to XPS format from Navision? Ideally, it would be nice if user prints standard Navision report, it then generates XPS in background and sends the XPS document to the printer user has selected.

Any idea?
<--Emanuel-->

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) The XPS printer is nothing more that Printer producing XPS files. It ask user for file name each time you print something.
    2) I do not know if there is path to push some file name to the driver to not ask user.
    3) If there is way how to pass the file name, you can use this printer as default printer, print the report, take the file and send it to the user. Or you can use some external application which will check the folder and each new file will be send to some address based on some data from the file name (e.g. user name etc.).
    4) Do not forgot that printing is different when done from preview and directly to printer - if you are doing preview, the margins will be taken from default printer. if you print directly, it will take data from the target printer.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DimiDimi Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

has anybody a solutions for the Filename Dialog Problem?

THX.
    Dimi