NAS 5.0 and ADCS

IdlenessIdleness Member Posts: 46
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help. I am having very serious trouble getting ADCS and NAS to work following a reboot.

This is NAV v5, with the standard ADCS and NAS. Everything runs fine when the database, the nas and adcs are on the same server however for test purposes I need the adcs and nas on a different server and here's the problem.

Following a full reinstall of win2003 rc2 sp2, adcs and nas work communicating to the database server. If I reboot the server the adcs and nas fail.

The event viewer is throwing various errors but currently detailing 'The NAS does not accept encryption'.

If I switch the nas to point back to the test server it works again. The DB is sql2005 sp2.

I have followed all documentation so far and everything looks correct except it doesn't work any more following reboot.

Thanks for any help

Answers

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Have you tried to change the services to start manually, and after reboot to start the services manually?
    Also for the test server after reboot everything works fine?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • IdlenessIdleness Member Posts: 46
    Hi ara3n

Thanks, yes to rebooting the server and pointing to it. That's fine.

Unfortunately yes to the manually starting the services, although I am interested to know why you think that might make a difference? It may point me in a different direction.

Thanks
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    My guess the NAS takes a while to connect to the server and open a socket to accept connection from the telnet service. See if you can change server name to an IP.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    Thanks, you are correct, it definitely does. But it hasn't made a difference.
    I fixed my earlier error related to Nas and encryption.
    I am now back to my original error of 'Your program license does not permit more users to work simultaneously'.

This is a red herring, it isn't the license but I suspect somewhere (registry?) the connection is being effectively locked and only time is clearing it (a few hours).

I have tried changing ports and test server ip address, generating and regenerating security keys. I have had it back 4 times today (without reinstalling any software) but there doesn't appear to be any consistent methodology to fixing it.

I have just brought it back again by deliberately setting the wrong sql database in the NAS config. Letting it fail and then setting the correct one.

I have rebooted and it failed. Doing the above hasn't changed a thing.

Thanks
    Maybe this will help others. I think I have got to the bottom of this problem.

The license usage error wasn't a red herring. The primary server (running the Nav db) would appear to lock the usage for a period of 10hrs.

By accident during my testing i must have cleared this but I cannot recreate it.

The bottom line, reboot the Primary and the alternate server running the NAS and ADCS will work. If you reboot the alternate server that just runs the NAS and ADCS it won't until a period of time has expired (I think 10hrs).

Can anyone else conrim where the license usage may be locked, if so how can it be release without effecting Navision operations?

Thanks
    NAS v 5.0 update 1 fixes this issue.

When NAS 5 closes down it doesn't close the SQL session assigned to the NAS, therefore when trying to connect a new session it contravenes the license.

You can use NAS v5.0 update 1 without updating all the v5 clients by installing it and altering manually the table ndo$dbproperty and there the Field DBVersion from 80 to 82.

The sdk kit needs installing to register the nas snap in.