NAV 5.0 SQL Server Option

SoumyadipSoumyadip Member Posts: 209
In typical NAV 5.0 (Database is SQL 2005) -
1. Can the NAV Client Directly connect to SQL?
2. Do I require to Install NAV Server?

I dont want to compromise on performence. I can even Install NAV Server and SQL Server in two different dedicated servers, if required.

Please suggest.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    The NAV client will connect directly to SQL using a 2 tier structure.

You do not need the classic server anymore.

Depending on the database size, no of transactions and number of concurrent users per module you have to decide to use SQL or classic.

Classic should perform fine for most customers. SQL should be faster for larger installations if maintained properly.

Good luck.
  • diptish.naskardiptish.naskar Member Posts: 360
    Soumyadip wrote:
    In typical NAV 5.0 (Database is SQL 2005) -
    1. Can the NAV Client Directly connect to SQL?
    2. Do I require to Install NAV Server?

I dont want to compromise on performence. I can even Install NAV Server and SQL Server in two different dedicated servers, if required.

Please suggest.

Thanks in Advance

Hi,

The NAV Client in general directly connects to the SQL server if you are using the SQL server option. Incase you are using the native database then only you need to have the DB server of NAV installed.

Yes you can definitely have 2 servers dedicated for each NAV Native and SQL server but not the the same database at the same time.

In terms of the performance, there are a lot of factors that needs to be considered, some of them are already mentioned by Mark in the previous post.
    Diptish Naskar
    For any queries you can also visit my blog site: http://msnavarena.blogspot.com/