Navision 5.0 SP1 and Indexed Views

cnicolacnicola Member Posts: 181
Ok not sure if this is the right forum since it is about the upcoming SP1 for 5.0.
The conversation started on DynamicsUser forum (sorry Luc :oops: ): Jorg Stryk said that he heard something at Convergence about replacing SIFTs with Indexed Views in 5.0 SP1.
I am just trying to see if this is true or not and if anyone else heard the same since obviously if it is true it is a huge thing (I think).
Apathy is on the rise but nobody seems to care.

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    It should not be here, but on the Navision forum.

Yes, there will be a SP for 5.0.

A couple of things that were told during the ask the experts session:
      * Introduction of Indexed Views * Introduction of Bulk Inserts * User messaging when using a different sorting/filtering

There is more but unfortunately that is under NDA. ](*,)

Let's hope this is the performance improvement we have hoped for so long. I am getting tyred of fixing systems that should run ok.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    cnicola wrote:
    Ok not sure if this is the right forum since it is about the upcoming SP1 for 5.0.
    The conversation started on DynamicsUser forum (sorry Luc :oops: ): Jorg Stryk said that he heard something at Convergence about replacing SIFTs with Indexed Views in 5.0 SP1.
    I am just trying to see if this is true or not and if anyone else heard the same since obviously if it is true it is a huge thing (I think).

This is answered here : http://dynamicsuser.net/forums/t/20495.aspx
    David Singleton
  • cnicolacnicola Member Posts: 181
    Hi Mark,

I am sorry perhaps being thick but Introduction of Indexed Views
    does not equal replacing SIFTs with Indexed Views.

Soooo ...
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Lets us just leave replacement or introduction as open for discussion ok?
    Lets us just leave replacement or introduction as open for discussion ok?

Hi Mark,

I knew you were an MVP and SQL Expert but not a Master of Nuances as well :D
    And open for discussion between who and who?

Cristi
  • NavStudentNavStudent Member Posts: 399
    Haha
    I didn't know I was famous for ranting.
    I don't like it either.
    But somebody has to do it.

I know a lot of people try to not say it on how it actually is.
    If you call that civilized, then you might as well go live in communist country.

As about the new features replacing SIFT, that's great.
    As long MS tests it with a db the size of 100 gig and it works fine, that's great. If not, then you'll have more rants.
    my 2 cents
  • Beyond getting better performance using Indexed views for SIFT it also has the nice sideeffect that SIFT now can be accesed via ODBC
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Hi Michael,

I certainly hope using Indexed Views Instead of SIFTs will have only that sideeffect (good or bad). And I do appreciate trying clearing up the rumours. But I will give it one more try: "using Indexed Views for SIFT" can be read as an addition to the SIFT instead of fully replacing them.

Cristi
    NavStudent wrote:
    Haha
    I didn't know I was famous for ranting.
    I don't like it either.
    But somebody has to do it.

I know a lot of people try to not say it on how it actually is.
    If you call that civilized, then you might as well go live in communist country.

As about the new features replacing SIFT, that's great.
    As long MS tests it with a db the size of 100 gig and it works fine, that's great. If not, then you'll have more rants.

Hi NavStudent,

I do not know about "somebody has to do it" but I am pretty sure everyone has noticed your posts. I think that, though sometimes you go too far, most of times the base sentiment you echo is the right one. So keep it up.

P.S.1 I have same tendencies as you I think but someone once suggested to me that when I am upset to write the email (or post) and then save it for 2 hours. If after 2 hours I still feel like sending it then I will :wink:
    P.S.2 I do come from a former communist country and I have yet to be fully convinced that was so much worse than capitalism. But hey I am in US and I have learned to live with it :D
  • We run a number of performance test in our lab everyday and we have only seen positive effect on performance so far. But before we send SP1 out we will test it on bigger live instalations.
  • Hi Nicola

The indexed view SIFT implementaion replace the current SIFT implementation where we use SQL bucket table

Michael
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from Upcoming version NAV 6.0 (formerly NAV 5.1) forum to Navision forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Hi Michael,

Thanks for all your replies. And it is good hearing about the stress testing.

Now one more comment: last year I had to upgrade a client from 3.60 to 4.00 but during testing we realized that simply converting the database (when you open it with the new executable) would take 2+ days. Add in the actual conversion routines and everything else and the only time we could do it was Thanksgiving since that was the only 4 days weekend we had (the client had a 160GB SQL db).
    I know it may sound like a silly thing but obviously the bigger the client the more likely it is they cannot afford to be down for long periods of time. And I am sure my db is not among the largest out there.

Since obviously to go to these indexed views there will have to be some conversion process maybe you guys can keep in mind what I said above.

Regards,
    Cristi Nicola