Options

Programming Language

jcnjcn Member Posts: 14
edited 2004-01-08 in Navision Attain
Hi

If I would like to read and learn some basics of the programming language used in Attain -wich programming language should I find information/documentation for?
Access, SQL, ???? or is there some really basic information on the specific language used in Attain available?

I ask because I would like to learn the basics of the programming.

Hope that you have some comments -thanks in advance!
Best regards
Jens Christian Nørtoft
Denmark

Comments

• Options
    SbhatSbhat Member Posts: 301
    Hi,

The most appropriate language to learn would be Visual Basic and Visual C++ thats because in the coming version of Navision, Microsoft would be using the .NET architecture and most of the code would be using Visual C++.

Regards
    Suresh.
  • Options
    lakshmivallurulakshmivalluru Member Posts: 168
    Hi J,

Pascal is very basic language if u can get the book ... ;-)
    LR
  • Options
    SbhatSbhat Member Posts: 301
    My Friend Lakshmi, just for your information Pascal will be outdated in the coming version of Navision. Few weeks ago, i had a opportunity to see the product development work which is in progress at Microsoft and one of my friend happens to be doing the product development and you will be surpised when you see whats in store for Navision version 4.0.

Regards
    Suresh.
  • Options
    lakshmivallurulakshmivalluru Member Posts: 168
    Hi Suresh,

U suggestion was good but as our friend was asking about "the basics of the programming. " i thought he is new to programming, so if he jumps to higher level (VB) directly, it will be complicated to him.Pascal is very easy to learn.Can get all programming concepts within 3 days.Then VB will be easier for him to learn.

good luck J .
    LR
  • Options
    ajayjainajayjain Member Posts: 119
    hi,

I will also suggest for visual basic.
    If you want to become a real programmer then
    learn something from dos or notepad like C or dos base foxpro 2.6

Ajay Jain
    Development Navision
    UK
    Ajay Jain
    UK
  • Options
    jcnjcn Member Posts: 14
    Hi guys

Thanks for the answers -I will see if VB is too heavy for me :-)

You will probably hear some frustatet questions from me later... :?

Thanks for fast support!
    Best regards
    Jens Christian Nørtoft
    Denmark
  • Options
    aohlfsenaohlfsen Member Posts: 30
    The "basic" principles in BASIC, Pascal, C++ etc, are not that difficult to learn, you might however find, that e.g. C++ has a more steep learning curve, where as BASIC and Pascal are more transparent.

When you get to the more advanced programming topics any programming language will require some effort.

The most flexible but also more errorprone code can be done with C++.

I would think that the future programming language to consider in the Microsoft world is C# and not C++.

The Microsoft Business Framework as well as the, in a few years to come, product-merger of Navision, Axapta, Great Plains will be shaped using this language.

C# is by some described as a merger of the best things from Java and C++.

I can definately not see Navision 4.0 being more than a natural upgrade to 3.7 still as it is today programmed in the c/al language which I would describe as an extended Pascal dialect.

Enforcing any other programming language in version 4.0 would require a complete rewrite of thousands of lines of application code, and why bother doing this when the next generation ERP product is allready being forged at mount doom.