Options

SQL on Virtual Server / Vmware or not....

DavidKLDavidKL Member Posts: 4
edited 2007-11-05 in SQL Performance
Hi All,

A lot of our customers (Dynamics-AX and Dynamics-NAV) asked us or there is a possibility to run SQL server on a virtual server. Our policy is to run this kind of Database server on a 'reeel' server and not a virtual server. I asked MS about this and they say that there is no support for SQL on virtual server.

But are there people over here with experience with this kind of solutions?

Regards David

Comments

• Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    You can run SQL on a virtual server, I have customers doing this.

What is your goal? The main reason for my customers was to be able to move the server to another box without much troubles, the hardware must be dedicated, just if it was not virtual.

To move to virtualisation to combine images on one box is IMHO not a good idea for SQL/NAV.

Good luck.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    It comes at a performance price though. On a 'real' server, you have multiple spindles, segregation of functions (OS on one box, data files on another, log files on yet another). This means that you have pieces of hardware that are dedicated to certain functions.

In a virtual environment, you simulate these things. So inside the virtual machine it might look like there are multiple spindles, but it is really just one file (or two or more, but at least not the actual hardware setup). The virtual file might be striped across a SAN, but that really only adds another piece of overhead. The actual SAN is striping the virtual files, and the virtual OS is striping from within. I'm sure that it runs fine in some cases (I am thinking about relatively small companies that don't have a big time IT budget), but I would definately not recommend it as a preferred option.

Virtualization might be a good choice for some, but definately not for all.
  • Options
    MojitoMojito Member Posts: 9
    It really depends what kind of hardware (server + storage) you are using or have.

Our Navision is currently running on VM, together with 12 other VM's on 2 physical boxes. We have 140 CCU, a production DB of 250GB and an archive DB of 110GB. We have no performance issues at all.
    The storage you are using is the key here, never use DAS and avoid SCSI disks in larger environments but go for fiber disks if you want to virtualize.

I fully agree if you currently have I/O performance issues than don't virtualize. Review your hardware and app first.

Also important never virtualize just to virtualize. You must have a reason, for example high availability, need to renew your other servers
    If you design your hardware really well than you can virtualize NAV together with other servers.

If you need more info David I'm happy to help.
    Pete
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    One thing to consider is Microsoft's limited support when their product are running in a 3rd party virtual enviroment.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897615
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    I did not know that, thanks. :shock:

Personally I think it is not done. :evil: Microsoft should support virtualisation like it was normal hardware.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The trick is to not tell MS that it's a virtual enviroment when you call them. :D
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.