Migration from 2.6 to 5.0 GB

smartsrismartsri Member Posts: 10
Hi,

Here Client have planned to migrate from 2.6 to 5. So we have migrated Objects from 2.60 to 5. Client Database size coming around 100 GB.

Hope We cannot migrate directly from 2.60 to 5. So we have to do data migration from 2.60 to any one of 4.x version and again i have to do data migration from 4.x to 5.

In this case, I have 2.60 A version database. So I cannot convert database into 3.x version directly instead restoration. Not at all possible take backup and restore 100 GB size Database. 2 times data migration.

Client doesn't have that much time to stop live database.

So guys anyone can give hint us to Proceed ?

Thanks for advance

Sridharan ](*,)
Sridharan

Comments

• MTCMTC Member Posts: 159
    You firstly need to have your objects in v4.x.

TBH, I would say that, depending on how modified the 2.6 database is, it's a fools errand. You would be better off reimplementing their system in 5.0 rather than trying to migrate it.
  • smartsrismartsri Member Posts: 10
    Thank You for your Reply, MTC...

Yeah We have decided to reimplement in 5.0 GB Version. But Still client wants atleast 1 Year or 2 Year Data from Existing Navision version.

Can we take 1 or 2 years data from Navision ? If Yes, How can we get data ?

Thanks in Advance...

Sridharan
    Sridharan
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    to start with, I am not a developer, and thus have no idea if it is feasible.
    but if I were in your users place, this is what I would ask my solution center to do.

first off, I want all my data, and I don't want the system to be down, for a week. I understand that is not possible, so can you do this.

get me a 5.0 database that is setup for transactions. so I can create new sales orders and purchase orders. I won't post any kind of cash receipts, or do any checks runs in a/p for the week, just need to be able to invoice customers and place orders so my business can continue.

Set this up in a test database.

then while I do basic work in my test database, convert my 2.6 to 5.0, when that is complete then take the weeks transactions and import them into my converted database. At which point I will input all the other transactions that where put on hold.

it seems much easier to figure out how to get a weeks worth of Sales orders and Purchase orders into a 5.0 database, since that could be done with a series of dataports.

if you can figure out how to get 1 - 2 years of data in, then a week should be a breeze