Breakpoint file

gianpgianp Member Posts: 36
Hi,
Someone can tell me how build a new breakpoint file or where i can find a document that show how make new breakpoint file?

Tanks so much,
Gianp.

Comments

• rvduurenrvduuren Member Posts: 92
    Hello Gianp,

Can you give us some more info on:
    build a new breakpoint file
    Are you referring to the debugger?
    Met vriendelijke groet, best regards,

Rvduuren
  • gianpgianp Member Posts: 36
    yes I'm referring to make a debug into NAS
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    You manipulate the breakpoints by setting them in the C/AL editor, and NAV updates the breakpoints file for you. You are not supposed to set breakpoints in the file directly yourself.
  • gianpgianp Member Posts: 36
    Thanks DenSter
    But, why in the document w1w1atas.pdf is written:

"You can start Navision Application Server with a breakpoints parameter to enable you to specify a particular file for saving and loading breakpoints.
    EXAMPLE
    NAS.EXE breakpoints=C:\MyBreakpoints.xml"

What is the sense of C:\MyBreakpoints.xml????

Furthermore I have tried to set a beakpoint into a codeunit before to lauch the NAS but the debbugger is not activated.

Tanks.
    Gianp.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    The breakpoints.xml file stores the breakpoints that are set, and the best way is to let NAV create the file. Personally I have never used NAS in debug mode. If I need to debug a NAS process I run it from a regular client session, and that has always helped me find the right solution.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    to run debugger in NAS you need to add "debug=1" parameter to the NAS. You can specify the breakpoint file to use some different file, but still faster is to use the client with GUI and run the codeunit manually when possible. But sometime you need to debug directly under NAS and you can set the breakpoints in client, find the xml file and use it in NAS.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • jamesjames Member Posts: 56
    My problem is slightly different to this.

How do you stop creating a breakpoint file when using the NAS. Every morning the NAS will crash because it says the Breakpoint already exists, so we need to remove this. Also how do you switch the debug off for the NAS?

Many Thanks
    Just remove the parameter to disable the debugging. Why the file is still created, I do not know, I noticed this in some situations, but because debugging is not used in live environment, you do not need to solve this...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • jamesjames Member Posts: 56
    Am I right in assuming that when you start up the NAS via the Management console it the debugger won't be on by default or will it keep the debugger on from previous sessions?

I have removed the breakpoint file before, but for some reason it tries to to recreate a file every morning. This doesn't happen during the day, it seems to start around about 6 in the morning and continues to show this message until the NAS is stopped manually by one of the IT guys.

I'm struggling to establish what is happening for this to keep happening. I cannot see where is the parameter is defined for the breakpoint either??

#-o
    Debugging when running as Service has no meaning, but check the Debug parameter in the registry of the service. It cannot be set through management console...

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<service name>)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.