Posting and Invoicing

people3people3 Member Posts: 14
HI,

I'm a user of navision and am fairly new to it - however our company had been using it since V2 (currently running V4).

Over the last few months we've been having issues with invoicing.

We belive that this may have something to do with the way our users are posting purchase orders.

What is the diferance if a user posts an invoice and selects recive only and what happens is they select recive and invoice.

Sorry if this is a silly question i'm trying to get the process of posting correct.

Many Thanks

Comments

• ryanchryanch Member Posts: 34
    By choosing to receive only the system will process what others call a GRV. It will debit your Stocks, and credit your Direct Cost Applied account. Then when you choose to invoice, the system will pass the amounts to the creditor by crediting the Vendor and debiting the Purchases account. Other orgs have a person responsible for just receiving stocks so this individual will choose the receive option and the other person will process the invoice from the supplier by choosing to invoice only. However the person receiving the goods is not worried about the costs of the goods, he/she checks the quantities and their UoM against the order.
    This way allows for partial receipts but you can only invoice what you have received.

Goodluck.
  • cnicolacnicola Member Posts: 181
    I am sorry ryanch but your answer is totally wrong.

When you receive a PO the system updates the Inventory for the respective Item by increasing the qty on hand. Unless you use Expected Cost, there is absolutely NOTHING being posted to G/L.
    When you invoice the PO then the system updates the cost of the Item Ledger Entries created during the receive phases and if Automatic Cost Posting is on THEN the system posts the cost to G/L.

Hope this helps.
    Apathy is on the rise but nobody seems to care.
  • people3people3 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the posts,

The problem we are getting is that Users put on a PO and recive the goods then post the PO. (they only recive, NOT recive and invoice)

In accounts the invoice comes in. We check it against the invoice register card (were the PO number is added) and then do a Get recipted lines - select the correct Posted PO and then post (which invoices)

The problem is, on the posted invoices card sometimes its displays the PO number and sometimes is does not. And we cannot work out why it put the PO number on the invoice card sometimes and not others

Hope this makes sense

Many Thanks
    Hi people3,

My guess is that sometimes they do Receive & Invoice by mistake and that is when you will get the Order No. on the invoice and sometimes they do it the way you want by using Get Receipt Lines.

One way to test my theory would be to look at an invoice with Order No on it and see if the fields Receipt No. and Receipt Line No. on the lines are filled in or not. They only get filled in when you use Get Receipts function so if they are not then that invoice has been posted another way (probably from the PO).

Regards,
    Cristi Nicola
    Hi Cristi Nicola

Thanks for the reply.

I will check the invoice for the Receipt No. and Receipt Line No lines.

We would like the PO number left on the status report. Is there any way to achive this by using Get lines

Many Thanks
    Hi people3,

Since you can add more than one PO to an invoice by using Get Receipts you obviously cannot have it at the header level since there will be multiple Order Nos. So unless you redesign the report to be based on invoice lines it is not possible.

Cristi
    Hi Cristi Nicola

Thanks again for the reply - I have checked a invoice that has a PO associated and one that has not and am unable to find the Receipt No or recipt line No fields.

Sorry to sound a bit dim, but how would i find these fields

Cheers
    Hi people3,

It is not you it is me. It seems that Navision is not carrying those fields to posted invoice line for some reason. So that is why you could not find them. Sorry for the misinformation I should have checked it :oops:

I think if you really want people to use only Get Receipts then you can make a quick mod so you can only receive POs.

Cristi
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    cnicola wrote:

WHY :?:
    David Singleton
    cnicola wrote:

"By choosing to receive only the system will process what others call a GRV. It will debit your Stocks, and credit your Direct Cost Applied account."

Receiving posts something to G/L? (assuming Expected Cost is not on. And even if it were it would be an accrued Stocks account not the real one)
    And OK perhaps not totally wrong on the other things :D
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    cnicola wrote:
    cnicola wrote:

"By choosing to receive only the system will process what others call a GRV. It will debit your Stocks, and credit your Direct Cost Applied account."

Receiving posts something to G/L? (assuming Expected Cost is not on. And even if it were it would be an accrued Stocks account not the real one)

Actually the post to me seemed to make it obvious that Expected costing was switched on. And in many cases companies do not use acrual acounts, but instead post to the actual accounts.

The GRV (Goods Receipt Voucher) in some countries is required to post to actual inventory accounts, since the company could have liability for the goods at the point they sign for them, even if they have not received the goods yet.

Personally I have seen quite a few Navision implementations where it works exactly as Ryanch explains, so to say that he is "Totally wrong" is not in my opinions correct. :mrgreen:
    David Singleton