Closing Purchase order with no invoice ?

dlauwersdlauwers Member Posts: 127
NAV 4.0 Sp3 Belgium

Hi,

Customer have asked the following question where I do not know how to realise that in NAV.

Once in a while goods are ordered and received but the invoice never comes. For different reasons that invoice will never, ever come.

You have received the goods and in the Purchase order the lines are waiting with "Qty to invoice = XX".

They would like to close this order so that no open invoices are left. The items are added to the inventory and the value of the inventory also reflects the presence of the goods.

When we set the Quantity to Invoice to 0 there is nothing to post and the order will remain the same ?

We canot delete this order because we have a receipt of goods. The items that have been purchased this way are pure profit.

Accounting uses in their old system the following technique.
They "close" the Purchase receipt so that only the inventory G/L accounts are hit. No other "Invoices to Pay G/L Accounts are hit"

So how to "close" an NAV Purchase order like this ?? :-k

I hope you understand what I mean, it is difficult to explain.

Thanks
Danny

Comments

• jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Hi again Lawer you should have a weird client,

2 options come to mind,

1) make sure the columns, QTY to INVOICE & Qty Rcvd not inv = 0
    you will have to repoen the purchase order to do this. this allows you to delete the order even with a reciept

2) If you are treating this stock as "free" becuase you have no invoice to pay etc why not just post it but removing the cost so you will invoice it at €0 ?

again i tested on V5 so wyou will have to test again locally
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    1. Set the Direct Unit Cost to 0
    2. Post the invoice

This way, no A/P will be created against this vendor and you received the item with no cost.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    You could even make a command button on the PO Header that they can press when this situation comes up and the po has many lines.
    Something Like...

OnPush()
    IF NOT DIALOG.CONFIRM('Would you like to Zero all the Direct Unit Costs?',TRUE) 
     THEN EXIT
     ELSE
      PurchLine.RESET;
      PurchLine.SETRANGE("Document Type","Document Type");
      PurchLine.SETRANGE("Document No.","No.");
      IF PurchLine.FIND('-') THEN
        REPEAT
            PurchLine."Direct Unit Cost" := 0;
         PurchLine.MODIFY(TRUE);
        UNTIL PurchLine.NEXT = 0;

I guess you could always throw in the Codeunit Purch.-Post (Yes/No) If you wanted to do a "all inclusive" clearing of such a po in 1 step. :-k
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    The best way to handle this in my opinion is to do the following:

add an additional line to the PO,
    make it to a g/l account of your choice ( my choice is an account we use for purchase variances)
    make the line a qty negative one and enter the amount of the total po.

leave the cost in the items, posted the invoice to the po.

the negative line, makes the invoice post as zero, so it appears on the vendor ledger for future reference, the inventory is booked at cost. the g/l account for the purchase variance gets a credit.

if in the future the vendor comes back and says I want my money, you can make a new purchase invoice, and use the g/l account to record the payment to the vendor.
    HI Mave

The purchase reciept will always be in the system though with the PO number on it so they can always create an invoice against that ?

so there is no need for the GL lines
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    jannestig wrote:
    HI Mave

The purchase reciept will always be in the system though with the PO number on it so they can always create an invoice against that ?

so there is no need for the GL lines
    yes but posting to the g/l account follows good accounting principles. and recordes inventory at a dollar value, with a proper offset to a purchase variance account. And this requires no coding doesn't change the system at all. and does everything requested.
    Iwill have to take your word for the accounting side of things :D accounting procedures is not my biggest thing and of course they can change a lot from country to country to make it even more confusing :( ](*,)
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Some companies may want.

1) Get the merch
    2) Not have to pay (Zero Invoice)
    3) Not have the cost of the items change due to a Zero.

Changing the cost to Zero will lower those items costs.
    So TheMaves way would solve that issue.
  • sublimesonsublimeson Member Posts: 11
    I'm experiencing a dilemma similar to this. We have about 6 Purchase Orders stuck in our system for various reasons. Most of them are due to errors resulting from their entry, usually a wrong job number or a similar problem. Invoices were made separately so the orders could be posted in the system. Now these purchase orders cannot be posted or closed.

Some of these PO's have been stuck in the system since 2004, and just need to be deleted. Prior to my arrival at this company one of the users tried contacting the company we pay to support Navision, and their response was just "you shouldn't have done that." Yeah. Obviously.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.