How to change size of a field using Dev Toolkit

selece28selece28 Member Posts: 316
Hi all Nav Masters
I'm new in using Dev Toolkit.
So could someone guide me the correct way of using it.
My problems is my client want to store something in External Doc No in table 81 Gen Journal Line, the External Doc No. is Code 20, they want to store 25 chars. So i need to change from Code 20 to Code 25.

How is the correct way of doing it using Dev Toolkit?
In Dev toolkit i choose table 81, then choose Fields, then choose Field 77 External Doc No. and right click to choose <Where Used>
Is this right?
Do i need to set the <Where Used with...> ? If yes, what i need to set?

Then after that, what should i do?
I don't want to miss anything so my DB will have errors when used by my client.

Please help me, I need a guide to do this in right way.
If someone here can guide me step by step to do it in Dev toolkit,
i'll be very thankful.

Ow and i use the DevToolkit Ver 2.00 SP 3 on Nav 4 SP 3 DB

Thanks in advanced

Regards,
Steven

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    In this case best enable all buttons in "Where Used with".

But in general it is better NOT to increase the length of a standard Navision field. This because even months later, you can run into problems.
    Best is to create a new field and use that.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    kriki wrote:
    In this case best enable all buttons in "Where Used with".

But in general it is better NOT to increase the length of a standard Navision field. This because even months later, you can run into problems.
    Best is to create a new field and use that.

And then when you find where that field is used, you go to tables and change it manually? I wonder is there any faster way of doing this?

EDIT: If I use dev toolkit and find that there are tables which are not used by client, but these tables will be affected by my changed field - should I expand the field on not used tables? Or should I leave these tables unchanged? What would be "best practise" with this?
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Best is to change everywhere because it is possible in the future other functionality will be used, so this is already fixed.
    The biggest problem is another : You should really check out where the field is used. If it is put into another field and that field is NOT a table-field, you also need to change the definition of that field.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    kriki wrote:
    Best is to change everywhere because it is possible in the future other functionality will be used, so this is already fixed.
    The biggest problem is another : You should really check out where the field is used. If it is put into another field and that field is NOT a table-field, you also need to change the definition of that field.

Most of them DEVTOOLS can find (hopefully). And yes, you must change even local variables on every object to which that field is assigned in code.

And if you have to change same fields for 20 databases, that becomes funny :)