Old rounding entries being posted

MindieMindie Member Posts: 124
My client is having problems with the dates of cost adjustments.

They have the following setups:

Automatic Cost Posting = Yes
Expected Cost Posting = Yes
Automatic Cost Adjustment = Yes

When posting output journal entries, with backflushed components, they will get an error message that the posting dates are not within their allowed range. The posting date on the lines is 10/18/07. Their allowed range is 09/01/07 to 10/31/07.

When they removed the posting date ranges they could post. Two entries were made for 08/17/07. These were rounding entries for .02. This has happened a few times before and it usually is just 1 or 2 cents of rounding entries that are posted.

Why are these entries being posted if cost is only supposed to be adjusted within a month? Why is this only an issue it the output journal? Why are they only rounding entries?

Most importantly: What can be done to prevent this from happening again?

They are on Navision 4.0 SP2 on SQL

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I think the allowable posting dates can be set in two places:

The allowable posting dates on General Ledger setup
    The allowable posting date on the User Setup
  • MindieMindie Member Posts: 124
    Yes it can be. It is set up the same in both places.

I would like to prevent and adjusting or rounding entries being posted back that far.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Which costing method are using?

I saw something like this when we changed costing method from one to another (I think that to FIFO) and it started to post rounding entries into old date ranges (when the input entry was posted).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Yes their costing method is FIFO. Did you ever find a way to stop it from making those entries?
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I am afraid that not. It disappeared after all items were rounded to correct values.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ayhan06ayhan06 Member Posts: 210
    1. you can not get rid of these rounding entries.. it should be created.
    2. in FIFO method, rounding entries are created for the inbound entry (NOT outbound entry unlike average costing method) when the inbound entry is fully applied. rounding entries are generated by the ınventory adjusment process..

now, i have to ask something to you. For which item ledger entry or entries do you have rounding entry with posting date 08/17/07? what is the posting date of that Item Ledger entry? if it is created for item ledger entry that is applied to consumption entry,(check Item ledger entries window with Application->Applied Entries menu), there is no problem with rounding entries. i mean this is normal behaviour of navision..BUT, when you setup allowed range as 09/01/07 - 10/31/07, posting date of rounding entries should be 10/18/07, not 08/17/07.. i think there is a bug in your system.. check that you have modification in cu 5895..

also, this is not an special issue for output journal. rounding entries can be created for all type of inbound entry as long as you use FIFO or LIFO method.

please give answers to my questions. then i can write much more things about your issue.
    Thank you for your reply.

No, codeunit 5895 has not been modified.

There are way too many entries per batch to narrow it find which ILE the old entries are being applied to. I assume it is for a purchase or positive adjustment on 08/17/07.

I can understand what you saying about the reason the rounding entries are created. My problem is with the posting date.

1. That month is "closed" meaning that the financial statments have been printed and sent off. The client does not want any changes posted into that period.

2. This makes having posting date ranges impossible. It stops the user from being able to post the output journal. The only way to get around it is to remove the posting date range for that user. This, of course, could cause other problems.

There must be somone who has encountered this problem and found a resolution.
  • ayhan06ayhan06 Member Posts: 210
    i have checked the codeunits about that.. it is really strange problem because posting date for rounding entries must be 10/18/07, not 08/17/2007.. i have to test your db :(