Install Sharepoint Services on a virtual server

GnovaldGnovald Member Posts: 67
I am thinking about setting up Windows Sharepoint Services on a virtual server that will be installed on a host system containing Windows Server 2003, with SQL 2005 and Business Notification Manager, while the Navision native database are located on a different server on the domain.

Is there anyone that has the experience in this?

/Andreas

Comments

• nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    You shouldn’t have any problems archiving this.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • GnovaldGnovald Member Posts: 67
    nunomaia wrote:
    You shouldn’t have any problems archiving this.

Thanks for answering :)

I have read just a little about this and can't see that it shouldn't be any problem. But one question that pops up is that about backing up data from the virtual disc - or should I back up all the virtual installation files?

I have tested a few scenarios and can't reach a good solution!

/Andreas
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Isn't the virtual machine a single file that you can back up?
    Godmorning!
    DenSter wrote:
    Isn't the virtual machine a single file that you can back up?

Yes it is, two files actually, and it is a simple as that, just backing up those files will do it. I did had a passing thought on that, but was wondering if there was any other solutions, maybe implenting the files on the virtual installation into the ordinary backup routine?

/Andreas
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I guess you can set up all sorts of maintenance and backup inside the virtual machine. Really though, if you have a nightly network backup running, and the virtual machine files are included in that backup, do you really need to also back up whatever is inside that virtual machine? I guess you'd want to do this is when you have multiple systems in the virtual machine and you want to be able to restore individual systems.
  • ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    You should backup a virtual harddisk through the virtual OS or shutdown the virtual OS first.
    That is propably the best solution! Thanks for the "brainstorming" :)

/Andreas