Job No. on Purchase Order Line prevents Whse. Receipt ?

dlauwersdlauwers Member Posts: 127
NAV 4.0 sp3 on XP (Test system)

Hi,

We are testing the projectmodule of NAV 4 and want to specify the Job No. on the Sales Line on a Purchase Order.

We have set the 2 main Dimensions "Project Code" and "Billing" and enter the Job No. from a non blocked project.

We can release the order without problems, the control document does not give any warnings.

When we want to create a whse Receipt from the functions menu, it does nothing. No message, No actions, Nothing. No records is created in the Whse Receipt table.

When we do the same test but do not fill in the Job No. all is working as it schould. A Warehouse Receipt is generated and we can accept the goods.

Is there any setting that we need te set ? I thing this should normaly work ! :-k

I tested in in the CRONUS demo database and there also I have the same effect ?

Test system of customer is on SQL2005
CRONUS is Native

Anybody an idea what I am doing wrong here ?

Thanks for your help
Danny

Comments

• flfl Member Posts: 184
    It's the way Navision is working, even without warehouse functionality. If you do the same on a location without WMS, then you will see the same. After receipt of the goods, there is no inventory increase. The cost of the purchase is directly posted on a g/l account as mentioned in the job posting settings.

So receiving a purchase line will not increase any inventory. For the same reason you can't do a receipt of a purchase line into a WMS location as there is a Job No. mentioned on the purchase line.
    Francois
    Consultant-Developper

http://www.CreaChain.com
  • dlauwersdlauwers Member Posts: 127
    Dear fl,
    Thanks for your response.

But if I cannot specify a Job No. on a purchase line. How can the purchase responsible link the items that have been purchased to a Job defined under Resouce Planning. #-o

Everything that is purchased for a certain project should come under the posted items of that project, but I asume that the standard NAV is not working this way as I have wanted it to be ? :cry:

Maybe you could explane how the items will end up linked to the Job No. ?

I would like to enter a Job No. on the Purchase header that automatically be filled in on every new line of a Purchase order. The item on a line that has a certain project should end up (after receiving the item) on the posted Job entries. In that case you have little work and you can enter Purchased items, used items, use resources, invoices, ... on a job and get a good overview. 8-[

It looks like NAV just let you buy items and then later you have to enter them again in the Job Journal to be linked to the Job. ](*,)

Hope you can help explaining how to get the needed functionality. We are a partner, so customisation is not a problem. But we always want to use as little custom code as possible.

Thanks
    Danny
    Hello dlauwers,
    I would like to enter a Job No. on the Purchase header that automatically be filled in on every new line of a Purchase order.
    That's possible, in table 38 there is field 56 Job No. which will do the above mentioned point. Just make this field visible on the purchase header, and it will be filled in automatically.
    The item on a line that has a certain project should end up (after receiving the item) on the posted Job entries. In that case you have little work and you can enter Purchased items, used items, use resources, invoices, ... on a job and get a good overview.
    Navision works like this. Every line on a purchase order inwhich Job No. is filled-in, will be transfered to the Job Ledger Entries at posting the purchase order. But this also means that the cost of goods will be transfered to a g/l account other as the g/l inventory account as this product is already used for this Job and is not in inventory.

I think you would like to buy items with a purchase order, take them into inventory at receiving and then at moment you use them you want those items being "consumed" by the Job. The last thing can be arranged by posting the items in the job journal. The first is standard impossible to do in Navision. If you mention a job No. on the purchase line, the moment the purchase order is posted they get directly consumed by the Job, so without inventory.

I did change this functionality for a customer, with the same request as you had. For this reason I added a condition in codeunit 90 where job entries are posted (find it back by searching for: PurchLine."Job No." <> '') that the type should be different of item. So item are not posted directly, but just received. This modification is however not suffient to let let the warehouse receive functionality work (look into the code that is searching for records to receive, as there should be something simular inside).

BUT: whats now the reason to buy an item with a job reference and handle it as any other item :?: After they are in the warehouse, you will find them on the same shelf as the same item received without or with another Job No. :-k

However think about using a project budget, then you can enter there the items you need for the Job, and transfer them to a purchase order (button functions, get activities on purchase order). The same for posting in the job journal, inwhich you also get the activities. But as soon as you receive them, they will go into cost and not into inventory.
    Francois
    Consultant-Developper

Thank fl !

You are right, but the raisson why the costumer would like it to work this way, is that the purchaser gets a list of items to order for a certain Job. He makes the order and this order must be received by someone else in the warehouse. So if there is no warehouse receipt for this order, the warehouse personel does not know what to receive. So the basic functionality must be the same. But because the costs of those items are for this project, they should be linked to the Job (posted).

Is it possible to create a new field, our own Job No. field that has no further impact on the normal order procedure or Warehouse Receipt. But when a Warehouse Receipt is posted, and is posted correctly that we add code after that posting to look at the new field and if there is a valid job No. Generate Job journals from the received goods and post them on the job.

This way the purchases can do his job as simple as possible, the warehouse guys know wat to receive, you have reception tracking documents and you have consumed everything for the project specified in the new field.

The customer does a lot of R&D and when they order something they specify the project responsibility guy on the order. Wharehouse knows they have to look at that field to know where to bring those goods.

Do you think this is a possible solution ? #-o

Danny
    Yes that might be a good solution. But keep in mind that this field (preferable with the same field number) must be added in several tables.

That also means that the standard job No. field has to stay empty on the purchase order line.

But it will work. \:D/
    Francois
    Consultant-Developper

Ok, thanks fl !

Now I know what will work and does'nt. Better to have someone else confirm your ideas before diving into the code.

So probably I'll make some modifications to add the extra field in some tables with the same field No. (so transferfields copies the values) and add code after a reciept is posted.

The idea is also to copy the 2 main dimensions from the project to the Sales header automatically after the user selects a project No. from the new field.

Thanks for your input :P

Danny