Getting Inventory and Pricing in Sync between companies

lisakinslisakins Member Posts: 23
I have a client that has requested that we create a function (does not have to be automatic, but can initiate from user) whereby their Company A can pull updated pricing on existing items in company B (Item No. would be the same in both companies) as well as look for Items that exist in Company B but have not been created in company A. After these items are identified, they want these items to pull from Company B and be inserted into Company A.

They have these 2 companies in the same database.

I initially thought of a dataport, but one of our Sr. programmers said it may be easier to create a Processing report.

Being a newbie, I have no idea what this is. Can you guys enlighten me and maybe point me in the proper direction for a solution?

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    has anyone discussed the possibility of changing DataPerCompany property of the table?

or do you want to keep inv seperate?
    do both companies use the same item #'s for the same items?

Search the forum for DataPerCompany to get tips & positives & negative.
    Plus see Nav C/side help for explanation in better detail.

Let us know if this is your REAL goal.
  • lisakinslisakins Member Posts: 23
    Yes, they have just enough difference in ownership between A and B that they want the inventory separate, but both companies sell the same products, just through different channels.

I'll do a search as you suggest.

Thank you
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    edited 2007-10-19
    Perhaps you can analyse this download to see how it works
    Data Transfer Wizard
    Allows to transfer the data from one to other company inside or outside of a database. The user can choose tables and the companies for transfer of the data. The difference in structure of tables will be fixed in the log file. At export /import of the data it is desirable to use a computer with high Data Transfer Rate.
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=751

you want
    1) if items exist in CompA & not CompB ->transfer those items A->B
    2) if items exist in CompB & not CompA ->transfer those items B->A

is this correct?
    How do you determine right now "who doesn't have what?"
    Currently, although the items are entered with same No. updates to pricing or from one to the other are done by hand.

Very inefficient, and I'm sure they are not 1 to 1, too much room in manual process for human error.

Since Company B is the "master" of pricing, Company A has to rely on receiving the pricing change and inputting update to keep margin on sales proper.

I'll give the download a test and see if it does what is needed.

Thank you
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    What I've done before is to have a 'Global Item' table that has the datapercompany property set to No. Regular insertion of Items in individual companies was disabled, and when they wanted to use a certain Item they had to 'download' it from the global item table. This was a copy of the Item table, and one of the companies was in charge of the list.

Depending on how much control you want to give to individual companies, you can have certain fields to be 'locally editable'.
    The download was a great tool, with some simple modifications it can be used to upload or update.

Thank you =D>