Navision - Insufficient Disk Space.. please help

debby_boxdebby_box Member Posts: 13
Hi all :cry::cry::cry:

I have a database that gave an error message "Insifficient Disk Space.. you will need the expand the database...". The error message came up while I was tryng to logon to Navision. As it is now, I've expanded the database bit by bit upto 132GB and the message is still coming up. However, 132 is my maximum license capacity. I can open the database but any attempt to open a company or do any activity it will ask for the username and password and after supplying it, the error msg comes up again. I cant take a backup cos the msg comes up on that too. I tried deleting a company to free more space but the delete will not work cos of the msg coming up again. :cry::cry::cry:

Please, can anybody come to my rescue, I'll really appreciate it.

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Have your partner get you an updated license with more database size, and you should get it free of charge (unless there is still a charge for this in your localization). This should not be an issue anymore, you just seem to have hit the default maximum.
  • debby_boxdebby_box Member Posts: 13
    Hi Denstar,

Thanks for your prompt reply, I really appreciate it.

I'm actually a partner and I'm working on a clients database. I'm using the partners license to do the expansion and thats the mamimum it can allow me go. Any attempt to try expand more will tell me "The program license cannot be used for this database size" Does it mean a partner license is ristricted too?

Expecting a reply
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    Which version of Navision are you running on? I believe there are some physical limits of older versions of Navision.

If you can't get it to work & you do have a partner license then an alternate (but ugly) solution is to perform a back up FBK, restore into SQL, get rid of some data...maybe split out each company into it's own DB?

If getting rid of data cannot be done then try running with version 5.0 - it has a limit of 256Gb.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • debby_boxdebby_box Member Posts: 13
    Hello Jlandeen,

The version I'm working on is 4.0. As said ealier, the backup is not working as well. any attempt for me to try backing up, the system returns the same error msg. I'm ready to delete a company, my major concern is to get a particular company out of that database, but the delete itself is returning the same error msg.

Regards
    Ok well here's something to try:
    - open the database files with a version 5.0 client
    - delete any of the companies you can
    - take a back up out of 5.0 and restore it with a 4.0 client

I'm not 100% sure the backups are backwards compatible but it's something to try.

The other option is to upgrade the executables to version 5.0 at your client site.

Sounds like you're inbetween a rock & a hard place.
    Epimatic Corp.

• nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    Native DB to delete also needs space. You must open that DB with a license that allows larger DB’s.

Copy DB files to another folder has jlandeen said open it NAV 5.0. Then you have more space to work it. Then you can delete company and delete data.

I’m not 100% sure, but you can ask MS a new license with more space to Native DB.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    jlandeen wrote:
    Ok well here's something to try:
    - open the database files with a version 5.0 client
    - delete any of the companies you can
    - take a back up out of 5.0 and restore it with a 4.0 client

I'm not 100% sure the backups are backwards compatible but it's something to try.

The other option is to upgrade the executables to version 5.0 at your client site.

Sounds like you're inbetween a rock & a hard place.
    You were faster :mrgreen:
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
    LOL...there's a first time for that! Normally someone else beats me too the punch on here \:D/
    Epimatic Corp.

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    To delete a company, you need space for it.
    How to make space free:
    -you can try to optimize the tables. Start with the smaller ones first because also optimizing tables asks for extra space, but by optimizing the smallers first you gradually can create extra space in the DB needed for the bigger tables.
    -you can also try to disable the secondary indexes of some big tables. This free space and then you can delete the company. But afterwards you need to enable the indexes again. This can take some time.

BTW : with a DB of 132 GB, you might start thinking to move to SQL.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    debby_box wrote:
    Hi Denstar,

Thanks for your prompt reply, I really appreciate it.

I'm actually a partner and I'm working on a clients database. I'm using the partners license to do the expansion and thats the mamimum it can allow me go. Any attempt to try expand more will tell me "The program license cannot be used for this database size" Does it mean a partner license is ristricted too?

Expecting a reply
    Yes it appears that you will have to get your partner license to allow bigger databases as well.