Navision SQL Runtime Licensing

Jonathan2708Jonathan2708 Member Posts: 552
Hi,

Can anybody clear up a couple of queries on Navision SQL Runtime Licenses as I have read some conflicting advice on various forums including this one.

Q1. Do you still need to purchase the core SQL Server product, either Standard or Enterprise Edition?

Q2. If you don't need to purchase it, how do you obtain the installation CDs / setup files?

Q3. I understand the licenses only allow access for the Navision product. Does this exclude use of SQL Reporting Services?

Any help on these appreciated, as well as anything else I should be aware of.

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I never used runtime license but:

You do not need to buy MS SQL Standard or Enterprise. Runtime license is license to be able to use MS SQL (Standard or Enterprise based on the license) with special limitation - the server must be used just for that specifi application (for me it means that no Reporting services etc., but I am not sure).

And what about the installation CDs? I do not know, if MS has some sort of runtime installation CDs or how it is done... :-/
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    If you have SQL software, you don't need to buy the run-time license. The SQL run-time license is for companies who do not wish to purchase SQL server separately.

If you calculate the number of sessions you have vs. the cost of the run-time license, in most of the cases, it's muich more economical to just purchase the SQL server separately.
  • KisuKisu Member Posts: 381
    We have just about the same problem.

There is clean windows server 2003 installed on latest hardware for the client now.
    We'd need to install SQL server 2005 runtime and navision on it.
    But we just cant find the Installation steps how to do runtime setup for the SQL server.
    Everywhere we seek help for this matter there is only some info about the licence itself. ](*,) :-k
    K.S.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The license applies to what Microsoft refers to as the "Unified Solution" The "Unified Solution" consist of all related product purchased and implemented with the orginal runtime license purchase. If the product, like Biztalk, is purchased and implemented during tthe original install then it can use the same license. If it is added later it must be licensed again. See http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/faq.mspx for more information.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    One limitation I find with the runtime is that it is available only as a 32-bit install.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    bbrown wrote:
    One limitation I find with the runtime is that it is available only as a 32-bit install.

I see that the 2008 version now comes in 64bit flavor. So would that change the picture and make 2008 run time viable for NAV?
    David Singleton
    Runtime is a viable option for some customers. But you need to consider the requirements of each customer and select the licensing solution that fits. I don't think there is a "one size fits all solution". RUntime is also not alsways the most cost-effective.
  • colinglcolingl Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know where the media for Run Time SQL can be found. I assume it's a download, but I can't see it on the PartnerSource site.
    It's on the product CD
  • colinglcolingl Member Posts: 8
    Ok, does that mean then if we (I work for a reseller) order Dynamics NAV 2009 SQL Runtime, that we should recieve a CD then?

This may seem a daft question, but we (as a reseller) are just starting out with NAV.
    It's contained on the NAV product DVD along with all the other NAV products/features. What you order only impacts the license your client receives. Not what is on the DVD. The DVD can be downloaded from PartnerSource. I'm not sure if they still ship one with each order. I'm not involved so much in that aspect of the business.