Buffer tables.

lallylally Member Posts: 323
Hello Masters,

In navision u have many tables . In that u have some Buffer tables like
cv ledger entry buffer, detailed cv ledger entry buffer,Invoice post.Buffer,Excise post. Buffer, Payment buffer, budget Buffer.
I opened this tables , even i could find any value.What is the use of this tables.
And u have some tables with Template like Vat Statement Template,
Intrastat Jnl.Template. What is the use of this tables.

What is difference between Batch and Template?
If it is possible Give some wonderful example to understand easily.

thanks in advance
lally

Comments

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Buffer tables are normally used during posting routine to hold temporary data and the data is deleted during the process therefore you will not find any data in the tables.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    ssingla wrote:
    Buffer tables are normally used during posting routine to hold temporary data and the data is deleted during the process therefore you will not find any data in the tables.

The data are not written into these tables. These tables are used only as temporary, it means all data are just in client memory. They never be written into DB.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    kine wrote:
    ssingla wrote:

The data are not written into these tables. These tables are used only as temporary, it means all data are just in client memory. They never be written into DB.

What kine was saying is they declare this tables as variables in codes and set their property temporary into yes.
    Navision noob....
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    Well you asked for Examples...so here's one I've encountered numerous times. Collecting a set of records based on complicated filters and criteria and then report on them or perform some other action.

Lets say I need a list of Items based on very complicated criteria (if it was simple I would just apply filters). Say I'm only interested in Items that have a quantity on hand of 50 or less that haven't had a transaction posted in the last 30 days. This works well with a temporary table. I follow this kind of pattern:
    1) apply any ititial filters to a Record variable (of type Item)
    2) loop through this recordset
    3) check all the required fields and if they all pass THEN insert a copy of the item record into the temporary set. (i.e. if Qty on Hand is < 50 and a search of the Item Ledger Entry table does not return any records with posting dates in the last 30 days).

When all of those steps are completed I just use the Temporary Recordset for any further processing or reporting required.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com