[solved] NAV 5.0; Synchronizing Outlook Contact Notes

MW59MW59 Member Posts: 85
I finally got Outlook Integration mostly working... everything transfers error-free (both ways!). For this alone, I feel that I was far more deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize than Al Gore. 8)

I was disappointed, however, to find that Outlook Contact notes are not part of the sync process. I contemplated building a new Sync Entity and using the Rlshp. Mgt. Comment Line table as my NAV destination, but that won't fly. The error message said that tables with 3+ fields in the primary key can't be used.

Has anyone gone about this a different way?

Thanks!

mw
I despise animal testing. They get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I just think that Comment line table is not good choice.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    What version of office do you have. I was asked recently if outlook sync works with office 2003.

Thanks.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • MW59MW59 Member Posts: 85
    edited 2007-10-14
    ara3n... it's 2003 and the integration piece seems to mostly work. I haven't seen any literature that specifically recommends 2007, but that doesn't mean it's not out there.

kine... I agree with you. It's kind of a complex table to translate a bunch of free text into. The trouble is, absolutely no other place came to mind. I guess a new/simpler comments table of sorts could become attached to the Contact form, but it's still not going to be easy.

Like I said, I just wondered if anyone had achieved this already. I think that more than my customer will want to see the Outlook Contact notes in NAV and vice versa. Thanks to both of you for your interest and comments.

mw
    I've done it 3 years ago, but I used the autlook com object. I then parsed it put it in the contact comments. It would just overwrite the comments in Navision.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Interesting... some of that went over my head as I'm a PM, not a Developer, but I think I understand the parsing bit. I presume Outlook's notes would have to be truncated, ideally between words, and then resumed in a new record everytime NAV's field length became exhausted. I'll run this by a Programmer on Monday. Thanks ara3n!

And if the moderators don't mind, I'll leave this issue open through the weekend in case anyone else has something to add.

mw
  • klord1379klord1379 Member Posts: 2
    Curious What became of this issue. I have a customer right now wanting us to sync the Contact Notes through the Synch Process. Any suggestions.
    contact notes is one of the fields that has unlimited size length. I am guessing you could use a blob but I highly doubt it.

I would just tell them it's not possible, and they should create a couple of new fields Comment 1, comment 2, comment 3 etc and use them instead.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

klord and ara3n... I'm so sorry... finally got to take a vacation and wasn't checking all the email accounts. Sometimes, one just has to do that and sip Crown Royal someplace beautiful.

ara3n? You were right on insofar as the "not possible" plus the work-arounds that my customer was disinterested in pursuing.

Back to work, Monday. ugh

mw