Server Performance

sabzamsabzam Member Posts: 1,149
Dear All,

I need to install Microsoft SQL Server on a server which has already got Microsoft Navision Database Server installed. Would this effect the performance of either one or the other?

Comments

• cnicolacnicola Member Posts: 181
    Well they both vie for same resources of the computer.
    Depending on how intensive you will use each of them it may or may not.
    Apathy is on the rise but nobody seems to care.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Personally I wouldn't mess with the Navision Database Server.

Get another machine to install sql if at all possible. Especially if the sql server is going to be used for something othr than Navision.

Are you doing it to convert from native to sql?
  • strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    As already mentioned here, a Database Server should always run on an dedicated machine.

But: If the server has plenty of system resources, it should be possible to run both, C/SIDE and SQL!

The "native" could only use 1 CPU; e.g. if you have 4 CPU you could assign 3 to the SQL Server (1,2,3) leaving one for C/SIDE server (0).

Further, the C/SIDE Server could allocate 1GB RAM at maximum; thus if you have 8GB or more, this could work.

A problem would be the disk-subsystem, SQL Server has very specific requirements! You need separate physical disks for the native and SQL databases.

And over all it depends on the transaction volume the DB servers have to process, the network connection, etc..

Hence, if you have sufficient system resources with appropriate configuration, both servers could run parallel (maybe an interims solution?); but it is not really recommended to do that ...
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I like my nav server on a standalone machine. This is how it was first represnted to us and I hate to change what's not broke, myself.

In fact since I knew we were going to use a Native database and it could only use 1 CPU, we only got 1.

:-k What's the odds that someone spent $$$ on 2 CPU's or even more if they were getting a Native database O:)

even so I wouldn't mind a machine like you mentioned above with those tremendous resources 8)
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    sabzam wrote:
    Dear All,

I need to install Microsoft SQL Server on a server which has already got Microsoft Navision Database Server installed. Would this effect the performance of either one or the other?

The simple answer is Yes.

It's just like if you had a baby. Your attention would be focused on the new kid. If you had another baby, your attention would have to be diverted to both baby. Not that it can't be done, but you would probably be a lot more busy and have less time to do something else.
  • cnicolacnicola Member Posts: 181
    Alex Chow wrote:
    The simple answer is Yes.

It's just like if you had a baby. Your attention would be focused on the new kid. If you had another baby, your attention would have to be diverted to both baby. Not that it can't be done, but you would probably be a lot more busy and have less time to do something else.

You can tell a lot about a person by the comparisons he makes.

In the past I would have used girlfriends to illustrate the point. Now that I am married I guess I would use hobbies (well at least publicly). And if I ever have kids probably will end up using your current example :wink:
    Apathy is on the rise but nobody seems to care.